Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2006 RXP suddenly stop hitting top speed, low battery, please help!

Hi all first off I just wanted to say I'm a complete newbie with boating and whatnot but this site has provided excellent information! Anyhow, we recently picked up 2 2006 RXP 215's one had 48 hours the other 54 in excellent condition. We test drove them and picked them up weeks later. The first thing we did was change those ceramic washers of course ourselves with the help of this site.

So here's my problem. We've been on the lake 3 days this week and the skis have been great except for my mother sucking up a rock on the first day so we had to get that fixed, there was a rock wedged into the impeller not much damage according to the mechanic. So today we were out riding and the ski I was on suddenly died out on me. I tried starting it up and it would click but no go so I had my sister tow me in with the other ski. However as she was towing me I tried starting it up again and finally it started but I couldn't pick up speed and it said "low 12volt" or something like that on the dash so I figured ok it's probably just the battery. Turns out the positive and negative terminals were loose so we tightened them with a ratchet. Turned it on and it was good to go my godfather took it out and noticed it wasn't going as fast as the other ski. I took it out and the fastest I was able to hit was maybe 53 and could only get up to about 6300 rpms.

So that's my dilemma and I'm antsy to find out what the problem is. Is it possible that the battery isn't giving enough voltage to get up to top speed? I looked at the battery and turns out its the original as I saw a 2006 date on it. Also when it first died on me I smelled a burning type of smell but never smelled it again after we continued riding later on in the day. So I'm a newb at watercraft stuff so do you guys think the battery not giving enough voltage is what's causing the problem? Because previously I had been able to get into the 60+ mph 7000rpm+ range without a problem.

Please help, thank you all very much!

+1
    Did you check supercharger slip?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd wager the voltage regulator was damaged. One of the worst things for a pwc is a loose battery cable. That can rake up some huge bills in a hurry. Get a quality voltmeter and check the voltage at idle, I suspect you'll find it well below 12v and dropping. Regulators are an easy fix, not inexpensive, but easy to install.

sounds like your supercharger is letting go. You replaced the ceramic washers with metal I assume so you most likely didn't ingest one but it sounds like it's slipping or wasn't properly rebuilt based on those rpms. i'd check all clamps for tightness as well

Thank you guys for the quick responses, appreciate it! What exactly is supercharger slip and how would I be able to diagnose it. I was planning on having the superchargers on both skis rebuilt at the end of the season by Jerry since I read on this forum that the supercharger should be rebuilt every 2 years or every 100 hours. So if I were to send my superchargers down to Jerry to be rebuilt would that eliminate the "slipping" on the ski that isn't hitting top speed?

Also as far as the voltage regulator could you direct me to where I could find the OEM replacement. I'm sure Jerry has it on his site but I would have no idea what to look up on his parts store.

Thank you all!

I just reread my original post and noticed a typo, the highest RPM I was able to get up to was 6800 RPMs not 6300. At a top of 53 mph

+1
    Check your voltage and the slip first. Look in the how to and faq section on supercharger slip adjustment. You need a few tools to do it and a good inch pound tourqe wrench.

+1
    To change the ceramic washers dont you have to set the slip?

+1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information