Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Post All of a Sudden - Only One Cylinder (Coils popped up!)

With having just gotten an oil change, spark plug replacement and service I headed on the water to test.

Out for 25 mins and all was well, until I lost serious power and heard a knocking sound and felt serious vibration. Thought it was a stick in the pump, but no!

I had very little throttle even when pulling full. I couldn't shake debris loose cause there was none. The vibration was from under the seat. I was
    only running on one cylinder!!! Two of the three ignition coils had popped up and was not actually firing on cylinder 2 & 3!!!!!

Over time apparently the ignition coils cups (that prevent splash water from getting down around the plugs in the head) can expand or swell. It seems
    when the coils and cups were greased and inserted as per the service, some air was caught in the chamber. On the test ride they pushed the entire coils up.

I checked them over, reinstalled (pushed back down) and tested and perfect! Issue found and solved!

In talking with the dealer he confirmed the cups do swell over time.

You guys ever seen this before?
    Thanks

+1
    Check top of spark plugs if the threads have stripped or the coil has stripped where they bite on the spark plug ...

+1
    Check to make sure the plugs are completely tight. Theres a possibility that maybe the crush washer at the bottom of the plug is faulty or missing, causing compression to leak past the plug and push out the coil. Ive seen it before. Other than that, it is possible for the air inside the plug/coil tube in the head to expand due to heating up and push the coil up as well.

+1
    Yeah those cups get stretched and misshaped over time and could cause a problem with the coil sitting properly. You can buy replacement cups, if you look on the parts diagrams from 08 or newer skis. They older ones don't have them listed as separate parts, but they are.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHER View Post
    Check top of spark plugs if the threads have stripped or the coil has stripped where they bite on the spark plug ...

New plugs - checked - all three are fine. Coils also fine. Recalling the first time I changed the plugs they feel the same with the same resistance / bite.

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SJL Custom View Post
    Check to make sure the plugs are completely tight. Theres a possibility that maybe the crush washer at the bottom of the plug is faulty or missing, causing compression to leak past the plug and push out the coil. Ive seen it before. Other than that, it is possible for the air inside the plug/coil tube in the head to expand due to heating up and push the coil up as well.
    Good idea - I did check and all three have been tightened to spec as per the BRP oil change/plug replacement instructions. I think it was the heat/air inside the coil tube and plug chamber.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    Yeah those cups get stretched and misshaped over time and could cause a problem with the coil sitting properly. You can buy replacement cups, if you look on the parts diagrams from 08 or newer skis. They older ones don't have them listed as separate parts, but they are.
    HOLY! I just priced them - the cups are $60 for three+tax, wow!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Does that include lube

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Does that include lube
    Nope! Haha. Lube was installed each time I change ged the plugs, and I've lubricated the cups (cleaned first) several times in between. I have the lube brp suggests on, so no need to get another tube. Haha

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post

Would the cups/boots of the coils be covered under warranty - pre-mature wear - two year old ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information