Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question GSX hybrid / Frankenstein....need an expert!

I have a 97 GSX w/ 787... I have used a 99 GSX-L w/951 as a parts craft.

Ive installed the MPEM, coil, wire harness, VTS, and switches from the GSX-L into the older GSX. (vts sucks, installed trim fix)

Everything works great, it starts, it runs, however, it has an acceleration issue. It boggs out before it ever hits plane, and will only get up to speed if it cavitates and causes the motor to spin up a little faster.

After digging through the wire diagram i see that the rectifier/regulator is still installed on the old MPEM. If i were to take the 3 yellow wires going to the magneto, and splice them into the rectifier/regulator, and then run the other 2 leads (red and black) to the battery. Does anyone think this will work to solve my Issue???

EDIT: My local Seadoo guys say that this could be caused by an "over voltage" problem. However, i hooked up a volt meter to the battery and started the ski... the meter reads between 11.2 and 12.2 while running.
    From the research i have done, this should read 12.5-14.5 when working properly. Could this be an 'Under Voltage" issue, since there is apperantly not a rectifier/regulator installed???

EDIT:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diag.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	307971
    Last edited by El_Conquistador_Trav; 07-25-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add picture

+1
    talked to my local seadoo guy, and he said to do it! He said that this is the solution he has used, instead of replacing the MPEM when the regulator goes bad, just splice in an older regulator to the magneto... any one agree???

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    You've got to do something.... your currently not charging!

+1
    I installed it, but i havent tested anything yet.

+1
    Wait, I'm lost. Are you putting the 951 in the 787 hull or are you putting the 951 mpem on a 787 motor?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    Wait, I'm lost. Are you putting the 951 in the 787 hull or are you putting the 951 mpem on a 787 motor?
    i think the latter

+1
    Yes i am using the 951 mpem and harness on a 787... the 951 was locked up, and the 787 had an mpem issue.... tried making a good ski out of the 2.

I fired it up, but there isnt any gas in it, all i could get was a couple seconds of ideling at 12.2 votls

+1
    I doubt that mpem will work well on a 787 motor. I would image the timing curves are different.

+1
    well, i dont see any reason why it shouldnt work... it ran like a top for the 1st couple of hours on this repair, but then quit all of a sudden. Plus i have heard of other people using a 951 mpem but not the harness too...

Anyway, i installed the rectifier/regulator into the wire harness like i had mentioned earlier... and now i am getting a spike of 13.5 volts when at full throttle on the trailer... so now its time to put her in the water and find out if my madness worked!!! fingers crossed!

im going to be punching out a 951 this winter and try to cram it into my SPX...hopefully i can make a naturaly aspirated RXP killer!

+1
    Good News!!! my 787 / 951 hybrid GSX works great!!! it charges now, and the 12v light went away (unexpected).

However, im still back to my original problem, which im begining to thing is related to carb tuning /syncing...

It seems to me that when give it gas, it doesnt kick over to the high side until it comes out of the water and no longer has a load.

once the intake grate grabs air it takes off like a bat out of hell! Pop off pressure issue???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information