Question 96 SLTX - condition of drive shaft and bearings in bearing housing

Figured I should put this in a new thread: In my 96 SLTX, finally got the drive shaft out. Water had been seeping in through the bearing housing. The driveshaft is pitted. I am concerned that this will most definitely leak. I leave my boats in the water. Where can I source a new/ used one? Also, there is quite a bit of play when I place the bearing housing on the shaft. Is this normal for a pwc? I can see why bushings are used vs bearings but I would think there would be not much play. I understand that I can purchase new seals, but how about the bushings?

I just wanted to let those of you who viewed this thread that I solved my problem. The bushings can be replaced but it is not worth the time because there are replacement bearing housings available. The bushings are not a snug fit to the driveshaft. My bushings got worn out because the driveshaft wobbled due to a bent impeler shaft. The local PWC repair shop sold me a used bearing housing for 10 bucks with good bushings and I replaced the seals (CW 8702 - Chicago Rawhide - 2 to 5 bucks on Ebay) I treated the driveshaft with muriatic acid to take off the excess rust then sanded it starting wtih 120 grit , 320, 600, 1000 then 1500. Put it all together, greased it and no leaks. Bearing, bushing and seal distributor - http://bdi-usa.com/Locations.aspx

+1
    Sounds like you've got it repaired ok. For future reference you can replace the bushings. The older skis used a brass bushing and then they went to a PTFE impregnated lead-based bearing. The bearing number is 14DU06 by Garlock. An alternate to it is 14TU06 by Isostatic.

good info to have. Thanks!

Thread Information