Purchased xlt 1200, everyone has got me freaked out!

Thought I got a solid deal on 2000 xlt 1200 at $3200 with 2 place trailer.., 141hrs, body in perfect shape.....
    Now reading about all these warnings and machines blowing up.. I'm freaking out!
    I so don't want another project on my hands.... Those days are behind me!

Is there something I should be doing, looking at or fixing right out of the gate to prevent total loss or failure?
    I really thought 140hrs was low for a 12yo ski,
    Please guide me asap, I love this machine!
    Am I selling it now?

+1
    just premix just to be safe.

+1
    Wave-Eater powervalve clips if they haven't already been done! this is a must! the xl1200's are solid machines if taken care of (just like any other ski) lol

+1
    Don't forget D-plate (cat converter delete) & chip.
    Expect around 200 hours before rebuild or at least new top end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    I'd even go as far as 300 hours if you do not juice it up. Use a high quality oil, fresh gas, keep your power valves clean and it should run fine for a long time.

One other thing, install an independent bilge pump. The factory bilge will not work if you are standing still. If a hose pops off and you lose power, you could be sinking.

If you don't want to block off the oil pump and go with pre-mix at least replace your stock oil lines and attach them to the cylinders with stainless steel clamps rather than the OEM plastic zip ties. You would still be at the mercy of the oil pump if it fails. Pre-mix takes care of this, but then your ski gets the same amount of oil all of the time, which can = more smoke when idling.

Oil line failure, cat/con failure, power valve failure = 3 main problems with XLTs. All can be taken care of for less than $400 and then you have a relatively "bulletproof" PWC. Take care of these concerns and you shouldn't have any big problems. I have two of them and they're great!

XLTs are known for being hard to start. The trick my mechanic showed me = 1. Push "start" button momentarily; 2. Pull the throttle 8 - 10 times; 3. Apply choke; 4. Push "start" button again. Usually works like a charm with my XLTs.

Good luck.

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

+1
    All very wise advice above.
    Do the things everyone suggested above "before" the problems and blowups occur, and they will occur if things are not done.
    It's not only much more economical that way but you also get to ride and have fun instead of wrenching and spending big sums of money repairing engine failures.

May be just me but since it's 13 years old, I would rebuild the carbs...and if I was doing them, I would do the updated version.http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70129
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177671

+1
    yep. Premix, wave eater clips, D-plate, fresh gas, high quality oil, and carb rebuild...thats what I'd do immediately.

9. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    I'd even go as far as 300 hours if you do not juice it up. Use a high quality oil, fresh gas, keep your power valves clean and it should run fine for a long time.
    wow never heard or seen a 300 hour 2 stroke without being rebuilt. about every 100 hours it will need a new top end typically.

d plate and chip, premix, oil block off mods, free air mods, fresh plugs, high quality synthetic oil, wave eaters, carb rebuild, new fuel filter, new fuel lines....NOW

Ok, So I've ordered the wave eaters, and d-plate, next I will get pump plug kit... When I'm doing the d-plate, I will check /replace the oil lines with new one and proper clamps.
    As far as top end goes, and carb rebuild, that'll have to wait until the off season.
    Bought this thing to enjoy it for the rest of season.... Had I known all these issues, I'd think the whole purchase.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that top end needs to be rebuilt every 100hrs...just saying! I've put 100hrs on previous pwc in a couple weeks!

Thread Information