Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 rxt leak down test.

Took a compression test 135 120 110, then a leak down test 20% 40% 20%. While testing heard oil bubbling in sump, is that normal? If I need a rebuild is there somebody better than SBT? Engine runs but pukes oil out of valve cover and check engine light comes on at idle.

+1
    the sound your hearing is air escaping past the rings into the crank case i thinks the limit is 20%. what code is it showing press the set button 5 times to check

+1
    Yeah. 20% or less is good.
    The 40% is going to need some attention soon..

Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    the sound your hearing is air escaping past the rings into the crank case i thinks the limit is 20%. what code is it showing press the set button 5 times to check
    No codes showing I press the button 5 times and it says "END" Also why would the oil bubble in the sump, the air would have to come from below the oil level, wouldn't it?

Trying to figure out why oil seems to be pressurized, blowing out valve cover and did blow dip stick out of tube twice!

+1
    The crankcase becomes pressurized because you are getting blow by past your rings. Are you running a catch can, or does the crankcase ventilation hose go back into the intake? Your leak down test confirms that you have poorly sealing rings, unfortunately it sounds as though it is time for a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    No codes showing I press the button 5 times and it says "END" Also why would the oil bubble in the sump, the air would have to come from below the oil level, wouldn't it?
    These engines have a dry sump construction, but the sumps are not scavenged by the oil pumps like on other dry sump engines. They rely on blowby to push the oil out of the sumps. When you are applying the air, the air pressure is pushing the oil out of the sump, which is the bubbling sound you hear.

Ok so oil is normally pressurized by crankcase pressure. 40% leakdown means probably have a cylinder problem. What I don't get is why does oil bubble? If I blow on a glass of water it don't bubble, but if I blow through the straw it will. Seems like the air must be getting to the bottom of the oil, then bubbling up. If I look past timing chain into crankcase while leak down testing I SEE oil bubbling-- is that where the oil gets pushed to?

+1
    remember head gaskets and valves also leak. Valves will usually leak out everything though.

+1
    valve seals..... there tired

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information