Worx intake grate hole spacing

This is my first time posting in a forum. I have been reading extensively over the past several months on this site and a few others. I have a 03 GP1300R and know all the mods that need to be done. Pump tunnel ,sealing pump shoe, waveeaters, dplate, new intake grate. I just started working on these this week. When fitting my new Worx intake grate to the pump shoe the holes did not line up. They were at least 1/8 of an inch too wide on both sides. Also the recess on one of the front holes is not deep enough for the bolt to be flush. Would it be ok to drill these out or should i just send it back. Any other options are welcome. Thanks

Texas City, Texas
    Welcome to the forum!

Look at the thickness of the metal at the hole you are thinking about drilling. If there is still a lot of metal to hold the intake in place then it would be OK to "recess" the bolt hole in question. You can use the other bolt hole as a gauge. More than likely, one recessed hole is deeper than the other.

As far as there being slop in the bolt holes, they will all have that. What you need is a method to center the intake.

With all 4 bolts in place, push the intake as far as you can to either side of the intake tunnel. Take a feeler gauge and measure the distance from the edge of the wing to the side of the intake tunnel..... for instance let's just say that the distance is 200 thousandths. What you would do is cut the distance in half to 100 thousandths and center the intake with 100 thousandths on each side of the wing.

Good luck dude.

Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying that other intake grates (r&d,riva) come from the factory with the mounting holes not spaced correctly?

Also, after putting in waveeater clips, can the gaskets for the covers be reused?

Texas City, Texas
    The grates are not machined to exacting tolerences.... in fact, they are very sloppily made. You will spend a lot of time trying to find the perfect intake. That being said, if you have to redrill or relocate a hole to make it work, then that is not safe and you should return it.

I have gas valves, but I would not be afraid to reuse the PV cover gaskets a couple of times.

Thread Information