Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2000 Genesis, worth it?

When I was not really looking I stumbled on a deal that looks pretty good to me. I have had a couple of the domestic 700s (SLTH)but am not familiar with the 1200 Genesis. Anything I should know about this ski? Is this as good a deal as it seems to me?
    ***2000 Polaris Genesis ***

-1200cc Fuel Injected
    -120 hours
    -Push button power reverse
    -Multi function display
    -Seats up to 4

This is a 2000 Polaris Genesis 1200 Fuel Injected ski. This ski is rated for 4 people. This ski is referred to the "SUV" of jetskis. Very comfortable with 3 people, but can fit 4 and is rated for 4 by the Coast Guard. Can legally pull 2 skiiers or tubes. The ski has push button power reverse. This is a 2 stroke 1200 cc engine with automatic oil injection. It is fuel injected, so there is no worry for gummed carbs or hesitant running conditions. There is also an aftermarket swim ladder on the rear of the ski. In the late 90's and early 2000's, Polaris was the king of jetskis. The domestic manufactured 1200cc engine is very reliable and has been used in many skis. This is a rare ski. Handles great and is very stable. Will run close to 60mph.

Ski needs work. Was running well, but it was just disovered that the rear cylinder is low in compression resulting in loss of power on ski. The middle and front cylinders are in spec. The rear cylinder ran lean due to an accidental disconnected fuel line. It will need need rings in rear cyliner, or possibly a piston. This is a easy fix and the rear cylinder can be pulled in less than 30 mins. The parts are very cheap and can be found everywhere. (I piced a piston kit and gaskets @ 129.00) Otherwise the ski is good to go.

Selling for 1200.00 firm. The trailer is like new and alone worth 400-500. The ski in running condition will sell for near $3000.00 and if you fix you will have recepits to show you recently reparied it.

+1
    I always wonder when something is advertised broke but cheap easy fix. Why is the current owner not doing the repair.

+1
    I am hoping wrench challenged????
    Or maybe not realizing just how basic a 2 stroke is?

+1
    or tired of working on it !

+1
    Wish this was closer to me! I would be all over it!

+1
    In my research I have determined that this motor does not have Nikasil cylinders. Can someone verify that for me? If this is the case, I should be able to simply hone out the cylinder and replace piston and rings to make this repair?

+1
    Should be standard cylinders, no nikasil.

+1
    As long as all it needs is the cylinder/piston to be honed or replaced with a used good one then it shouldn't be too bad of a fix. If the crank was damaged (a thorough inspection should give you a decent idea of it's condition) it may need a bit more work. The main concern I would have is what caused the initial failure? Was it a blown crank seal causing a lean burn-down? Bad injector? How did the fuel line become "accidentally disconnected"?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I don't see a fuel line failure causing a lean burn. It would have just turned into an air pump. It would have to have a continued supply of fuel, just n insufficient amount.

Not sure that a crank seal would do it either being the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. Anyone have an idea on this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    I don't see a fuel line failure causing a lean burn. It would have just turned into an air pump. It would have to have a continued supply of fuel, just n insufficient amount.
    So you are saying you don't think a simple fuel line failure would have caused the lean condition? Are thinking more of a fuel pump issue? I can do a simple cylinder hone/piston ring replace, what worries me is getting into something major that I have to diagnose/find the problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information