94 kawasaki limp mode/overheating??help

i recently purchased a 94 kawasaki ss xi took to the lake after about ten minutes began to bog down and not run well. i initially thought a fuel problem drained the tank pulled the carbs everything is clean. it runs great until it heats up. after researching online and reading about the limp mode i realized itbwas overheating. i have water flowing from the pisser not really hot just warm. i checked all the lines no clogs water flows well. will a bad wear ring cause it to overheat or impeller clearance? also i am wondering is the temp sensor malfunctioning? this is the first ski i have owned and im not very familiar with them so im not sure what to do next. please help!

+1
    Does the engine feel hot when this happens? In normal operation, it should be quite warm to the touch, but it shouldn't feel hot like a stove. The pisser is an indicator, but does not insure that the engine is being cooled, as the cooling system can work fine while the pisser hose is clogged. The overheat sensor is in that hose, in the left forward part of the engine compartment. If you've got water coming out, it shouldn't be indicating an overheat condition. Partial plugging of that hose may cause your problem.

Is the water just dribbling out or is it spraying out a strong stream? At idle, it should dribble, at speed it should spay out pretty strong.

Also, try riding with the seat removed and look for exhaust leaks. Filling the hull with exhaust will make it run badly.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Does the engine feel hot when this happens? In normal operation, it should be quite warm to the touch, but it shouldn't feel hot like a stove. The pisser is an indicator, but does not insure that the engine is being cooled, as the cooling system can work fine while the pisser hose is clogged. The overheat sensor is in that hose, in the left forward part of the engine compartment. If you've got water coming out, it shouldn't be indicating an overheat condition. Partial plugging of that hose may cause your problem.

Is the water just dribbling out or is it spraying out a strong stream? At idle, it should dribble, at speed it should spay out pretty strong.

Also, try riding with the seat removed and look for exhaust leaks. Filling the hull with exhaust will make it run badly.
    at idle it is more of a pulse than a steady stream of water. when i am at a cruising speed it is a fast pulse of water very warm but not to hot to touch. i can set my hand on top of the motor but its quite warm but i dont think to hot. i have pulled the lines off of thentemp sensor i can blow thru them freely and have even blown compressed air thru them. the ski sat for a year when i put it in the water for the first time it cavitated badly i would moreless pumpnthe throttle to get it to build speed for the first couple minutes i rode it. that stopped and seemed fine and has not done that anymore. but i was thinking maybe thats why i had something worn out and it was not drawing enough water in to cool the motor but the ski runs down the lake well for the first ten minutes or so then goes down to the bog i can turn it off it cranks and idles fine. let it cool for five minutes then i can ride it again for a few minutes and it happens again. it has new plugs also. from everything i have read and checked i am fairly sure that it is a heating problem and going to the limp mode. but im just not sure whats causing that he sensor is free and clear and seems to be working properly because it runs great for the first few minutes till it warms up

+1
    Could be an exhaust leak or fuel venting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Could be an exhaust leak or fuel venting problem.
    I pulled the gas cap during the problem still the same. I pulled seat no exhaust leaks while on hose or in water. I've been riding in my pond so I have easy access to water and checking different things tested day when it started I had the seat off and I pulled the hose from the temp sensor while running after a few seconds I was able to give it full throttle I assume it was hot but the sensor cooled when I pulled the hose the water flowed was still more of a steady pulse. I pulled the pump apart and checked the impeller someone has put I think a 16/23? I read and it looks like that's for a heavily modified motor it also had cavatation marks on it. I think its not pushing enough water to motor I considered ordering a stock impeller but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Thread Information