New member looking to upgrade my gti

Hello, just bought my first ski it's a 2004 GTI 720 base model. I was told it was a good starter. I had my local mechanic install solas speed impeller, worx racing grate and he ordered me wedge pump. Gave me a little more performance. But he told me engine mods stress the engines. After them 3 mods what would be my next step to gain some reliable performance? Like I said I'm 100% new to this always had boats never pwc. So any help would be great. Was told this was the best forum around for skis.

Thanks Scott NJ

+1

Cool

Welcome aboard the hulk!!
    It's the best forum I've found and its got some great members!!!

As far as the ski with the 720 motor that's a very reliable and strong 2 stroke.
    It's just really not worth dumping cash into to get its performance up. In my opinion.
    I think you'd be better served by riding that unit and learning more about the pwc world then buying something that's going to get you results when you mod it.
    Even if you do dump cash on that 720 the results aren't going to be what your thinking. In my opinion..

Great run around ski you have!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Welcome aboard the hulk!!
    It's the best forum I've found and its got some great members!!!

As far as the ski with the 720 motor that's a very reliable and strong 2 stroke.
    It's just really not worth dumping cash into to get its performance up. In my opinion.
    I think you'd be better served by riding that unit and learning more about the pwc world then buying something that's going to get you results when you mod it.
    Even if you do dump cash on that 720 the results aren't going to be what your thinking. In my opinion..

Great run around ski you have!!
    I agree. Throwing money at skis is not like throwing money at cars and seeing the performance it brings. Throwing a grand or better my only yield you a couple mph at best. Get too crazy and your tuning more than riding and that sucks. Ride what you got for a season or two then upgrade to something with a naturally aspirated 4 tech then after another season or two upgrade to a SC'd 4 tech ski if that's what your looking for. There is a world of difference between all three machines.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I looked at a 951 before I bought this but my gf said if its too fast she won't go on it..

So guy told us its perfect cruiser for me and her. So my thought was ill speed it up without telling her lol

So I did the prop intake grate and pump.. But when I go out with my buddies I wish she was 2-3mph faster. So I know best plan would be just buy faster ski next time around but for now I figured I'd spend few more bucks and not tell the gf lol. That's why I was wondering what the next step would be after them three standard upgrades.. Thanks for input guys!
    thanks Scott

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzi18classic View Post
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I looked at a 951 before I bought this but my gf said if its too fast she won't go on it..

So guy told us its perfect cruiser for me and her. So my thought was ill speed it up without telling her lol

So I did the prop intake grate and pump.. But when I go out with my buddies I wish she was 2-3mph faster. So I know best plan would be just buy faster ski next time around but for now I figured I'd spend few more bucks and not tell the gf lol. That's why I was wondering what the next step would be after them three standard upgrades.. Thanks for input guys!
    thanks Scott
    Heres another option for you since she's scared of speed. If you get a newer 4 tec ski you can put the learner key on it and limits it to 40mph. Then with the real key you can wake it up to 65+. On the other side, you don't have to ride that ski at WOT with her on the back

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post

thanks Scott
    Heres another option for you since she's scared of speed. If you get a newer 4 tec ski you can put the learner key on it and limits it to 40mph. Then with the real key you can wake it up to 65+. On the other side, you don't have to ride that ski at WOT with her on the back
    Very cool did not know learner keys existed. Ya she screams to slow down at 35mph so no WOT with her. Maybe I will be able to talk her into lookin at one of those next season. As of now out of my price bracket lol.

Think I am going to order a TDR performance water box. Says offers more low end power and better sound. Seems to be worth it for only $150.00

then next season maybe faster ski for me and gti for her lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post

thanks Scott
    Very cool did not know learner keys existed. Ya she screams to slow down at 35mph so no WOT with her. Maybe I will be able to talk her into lookin at one of those next season. As of now out of my price bracket lol.

Think I am going to order a TDR performance water box. Says offers more low end power and better sound. Seems to be worth it for only $150.00

then next season maybe faster ski for me and gti for her lol
    Now your thinking! Skip that TDR water box. Not worth it. Plus the drone is unbearable at half throttle. If you want to make it a bit snappier add some flame arresters and a rejet kit for the carbs.

+1
    Once she gets familiar with riding 35mph will not scare her as much.
    My son was the same way for 4-5 months of riding with me.

Now he's asking to go faster..
    It just takes a little time to feel comfortable at higher speeds.

The newer 4 tecs are a lot more stable than your 2 stroke.
    Who knows she might feel safer on a bigger ski??

+1
    I'm going against the grain on this one. My brother-in-law and I both own ported, piped 717 powered machines that are still reliable and much more fun. The 717 needs modded very carefully and correctly or it will blow. I pull and inspect my plugs after every ride. If that were my machine and I wanted more power I would delete all the rear exhaust baffling and leave the stock waterbox with a pipe running straight to the outlet. Install a Factory pipe and follow their jetting specs which I believe also say to leave the stock flame arrestor system. Then start the fuel screws out richer than recommended and tune down from there. Run premium gas and have fun!

Thanks fellas for all the help. Yea hopefully few more rides she will feel better and yes maybe bigger ski will be the solution next season. My mechanic said he said next step safely would be flame arrestors and tune carbs properly. He water box will mostly be sound with a stock motor. But I can't find flame arrestor for my year ski anywhere.

Also yes I'd like to mod it and do exhaust but its going to be more maintence. And I work on houses no skis. Lol

Thanks for input fellas this forum is great!

Thread Information