Polaris Virage TX 1200

Recently purchased a Virage 1200 TX, bendix was bad and motor seems to turn over with a lil more resistance by hand than I would care to feel. But the price was right and the rest of it is in great shape. I can tell it was always garage kept the clear coat still shines and nothing is faded. Purchased new lines to replace the Tempo. All other rubber seems in decent shape, connections look good. Got new Deka battery. So I am at the point where I removed the flywheel (key looks good), some oil in this area suggests to me that the front seal leaks, is this a press in or do I have to split the case to replace. I thought in my many hours of reading all the great help on here that there was a thin walled pipe that fits over the cam shaft end and under the seal. But now I can't seam to find that thread to confirm it is possible. Thanks. Todd

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

The front (mag) seal for the crankshaft on the red domestic 1200... is pressed into the rear flywheel housing. This housing is then sealed to the case. So to get to it... you pull of the mag cover, then the flywheel, then the stator, then unbolt the rear flywheel housing from the case and separate them. Then you can replace the seal pressed into the housing... then seal it back to the case and put it all back together.

The thin collar that goes on the crankshaft is on the PTO (rear) end of the crank. The two seals there which are installed into the case (case has to be split to replace them) seal to this collar which in turn seals via o-ring against the crank.

Check out the Polaris parts diagram... (I looked at a 2001 Virage TX)...
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

Cheers!

Great thank you for your help. This site and the member's are awesome and an invaluable asset to the PWC owner. I have also replaced the starter solenoid with the all plastic one. After I replace this seal and reassemble I will be cleaning the carbs and then giving it a test start. Hoping to have her up and running for the weekend. Summer is gong to fade fast in the North. Incidentally I did all this with the motor still installed in the hull. With the 2 filler tubes disconnected and covered I found it easy to unstrap the tanks and slide them forward. This provided me with plenty of room to reach in and start disassembling the flywheel cover, flywheel and stator. Used a harmonic/steering puller and it worked perfectly on the flywheel.

Reverse mechanism was not working, upon examination the previous owner forced it while it was binding (as talked about and a fix is posted in the thread links). The owner snapped the shaft that goes from the outside lever to the inside gear. I ordered a replacement part shaft and was pleasantly surprised when the new shaft is bigger (stronger). The previous shaft rode in two size reducing bushings, you simply tap these out and the new part fits right in. Plus the new part was cheaper than buying a used assembly on ebay (with probably the original weaker part). Happy and able to smoothly shift into reverse, just need a running motor to give reverse something to do ..... off to work on replacing that front crank seal!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeToddy View Post
    Reverse mechanism was not working, upon examination the previous owner forced it while it was binding (as talked about and a fix is posted in the thread links). The owner snapped the shaft that goes from the outside lever to the inside gear. I ordered a replacement part shaft and was pleasantly surprised when the new shaft is bigger (stronger). The previous shaft rode in two size reducing bushings, you simply tap these out and the new part fits right in. Plus the new part was cheaper than buying a used assembly on ebay (with probably the original weaker part). Happy and able to smoothly shift into reverse, just need a running motor to give reverse something to do ..... off to work on replacing that front crank seal!
    I have a 2002 Virage, first ski I have owned with reverse. Are you supposed to hold down the reverse lever in order to reverse ?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
    I have a 2002 Virage, first ski I have owned with reverse. Are you supposed to hold down the reverse lever in order to reverse ?
    Hold down the reverse lever?

The reverse lever handle when in forward position is pointing forward.

To engage reverse the lever is pulled upwards to a near vertical position, which pushes the reverse bucket behind the jet pump down.

If the reverse lever is binding or stuck in the full forward or full reverse positions, that can be caused by a frozen/rusted reverse cable or by binding within the reverse lever mechanism.

See my signature links for how to repair the Binding reverse mechanism. A properly operating reverse lever can be moved with two fingers. If it is really stiff do not force it or you risk breaking the plastic mechanism inside.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    No I mean if I don't hold it it will pop rite out of reverse back to neutral or forward.

To engage reverse the lever is pulled upwards to a near vertical position, which pushes the reverse bucket behind the jet pump down.

If the reverse lever is binding or stuck in the full forward or full reverse positions, that can be caused by a frozen/rusted reverse cable or by binding within the reverse lever mechanism.

See my signature links for how to repair the Binding reverse mechanism. A properly operating reverse lever can be moved with two fingers. If it is really stiff do not force it or you risk breaking the plastic mechanism inside.
    OK, what I meant was if I don't hold the lever in reverse it will pop out when I give it throttle back into neutral or forward. I dont think it should be like that rite ?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    No I mean if I don't hold it it will pop rite out of reverse back to neutral or forward.

OK, what I meant was if I don't hold the lever in reverse it will pop out when I give it throttle back into neutral or forward. I dont think it should be like that rite ?
    Sounds like the cam interlock mechanism is broken. There is a plastic pawl that holds the reverse mechanism in the full forward and full reverse positions. Moving the hand lever first lifts the pawl and then allows the large gear to rotate and move the reverse cable.

Water pressure against the reverse bucket cannot move the cable and hence turn the reverse gear because the pawl prevents it. If the pawl part is broken then there is only friction to held the reverse bucket in place against the jet water pressure.

See posts 8 and 16 in this thread where you can see video of the pawl interlock in action.

This is the actuating pivot arm with the spring loaded pawl at the end.

+1

Sounds like the cam interlock mechanism is broken. There is a plastic pawl that holds the reverse mechanism in the full forward and full reverse positions. Moving the hand lever first lifts the pawl and then allows the large gear to rotate and move the reverse cable.

Water pressure against the reverse bucket cannot move the cable and hence turn the reverse gear because the pawl prevents it. If the pawl part is broken then there is only friction to held the reverse bucket in place against the jet water pressure.

See posts 8 and 16 in this thread where you can see video of the pawl interlock in action.

This is the actuating pivot arm with the spring loaded pawl at the end.
    Good coverage !! Great job I will check it out I am building the motor as we speak ill start a thread.

Thread Information