Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris Genesis i: Testing Fuel Pressure

I want to check my fuel pressure on my 1999 polaris genesis fuel injected jet ski. I am going to rent a fuel pressure kit, but need a little guidance on how to do this.

Also, what type of pressure read outs should I get. Will it vary from idle or under throttle, etc...

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    Rochester, New York
    Some simple searches of the forum will help you find almost anything you are looking for. The link in my signature will be a great resource going forward.

Unscrew the shrader valve cap, screw on the fuel pressure guage, start ski. You need 20+ psi. Typically 22-25 psi is normal.

Thanks so much for your reply. I rented a fuel pressure gauge today and the results came back with 0 psi after I started it up and ran it. NOTE - I had my TPS unplugged while doing the test. I'm thinking this cannot possibly be right and that I may be working with a defective fuel pressure gauge...

Is fuel pressure more important at idle or WOT? I was about to buy a new TPS ,but figured I would check fuel pressure first. The ski preforms 'normal' except is very slow off the line. I can then feather the throttle and eventually get past 10 mph. After that, it takes off like a rocket and appears to perform as it should (It has the correct plugs)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Fuel pressure should be near constant in the fuel injected machines, regardless of RPM.

Some fuel pressure gauges cannot read really low pressures, so zero on the gauge typically means the gauge is not actually seeing the fuel pressure, or the pressure regulator has fallen off inside the fuel tank.

I have had fuel pressure gauges that did not actually press in on the tip of the schrader valve, so the gauge would not show anything. I had to unscrew the schrader valve insert from the tee and then the gauge showed actual pressure.

It is fairly common for the fuel pressure regulator to fall off inside the fuel pump body.

Thanks for the feedback. Im going to rent a different prasure guage so hopefully that works better. I just couldnt imagine i would have pressure of 0 psi.... And still have a machine that starts fine and idles fine and hits about 60mph.

Based on the fact that I'm only experiencing slowness off the line , do you think fuel pressure could be the problem? Otherwise I could save a step and simply buy a new tps. Also, am I able to just look inside of the gas tank by taking the 'access panel' off of the top of the tank? Presumably it will be obvious if something has fallen into the tank...

An update on my side. I took off the lid to the fuel tank and pulled out the fuel pump body. K447 was right, the fuel pressure regulator had fallen inside the fuel pump body (presumably that is what the little black hose with copper thing is). Here are my next questions.

How to I prevent the pressure regulator from falling in the tank again? I tried to wrap some plumbing tape around the metal piece and shove it back into the plastic, but I don't think this will last too many big waves. Short of glueing, perhaps with some PVC glue, I'm not really sure what else to do in order to keep the regulator from falling back into the tank (other than buy a new 'plastic top' so that it won't be worn down over the years).... Thoughts?

Also, I checked out another gauge, but still had zero for a psi reading. It just doesn't' make sense. Even when I pinched the return hose after the shrader valve I still had zero psi. I'm thinking about trying to rig up the fuel pressure device to my compressor to see if it will read 20 psi when my compressor reads 20 psi. Does this mean my pump is bad? Is it possible to test the pump with a volt meter? Is it really possible to have a pump that doesn't work and still have a jet ski that idles fine and still can hit reasonable top speeds?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	309338

OK. So I'm continuing to read Green Hulk posts. Information is endless. I'm starting to think I"m not testing my fuel pressure correctly. Hopefully someone can confirm.

I rented a fuel pressure tester and with it, came a guage, a hose and then a "T" with a schrader valve built into it. For my two tests I have simply disconnected the return line at the gas tank and then inserted my gauge 'in-line' on the return line. I have also tried pinching the black hose on the tank side (or after the brass fitting) and still got no uptick in pressure. As I continue to read posts, everyone seems to indicated that there are 'built in schrader valves' at the T. Am I doing this wrong?

The first photo shows the gauge I'm using, the brass T and where I have been inserting this into the return line. Is this the right spot, or should I be testing somewhere by the fuel injector Ts? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 copy.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	309377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 copy.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	309378

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Some models/years of the Polaris Ficht fuel injected engines apparently did not have a factory installed tee in the return fuel line.

On machines that do have the factory Schrader valve tee, it is located approximately half way between the forward fuel injector and the fuel tank return fuel nipple.

It seems that your machine does not have the factory tee fitting. If you want to add one, I think the Polaris part number for the Schrader valve tee is 2872602, and cost is about $6.

Note: The barbs on the Polaris OEM tee are sized for 5/16" hose, but everything else is sized for 1/4" fuel hose. So I use a heat gun to soften the 1/4" hose before sliding it onto the Schrader valve tee barbs, and lubricate the barbs with a drop of 2-stroke oil.

Are you sure you are inserting your tester's brass tee into the fuel return line?

Once installed, the fuel pressure gauge should provide a reading when the engine is cranking, running, or the Brown wire at the fuel pump connector is grounded (with fuel pump connector still plugged in).

To confirm the actual electric fuel pump is pumping properly, when you clamp flat (blocking the fuel flow) the return fuel hose right before the fuel tank, the fuel pressure should rise to around 30PSI, which is about the maximum pressure the electric fuel pump can deliver against a fully blocked return flow.

A normally operating fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel pump maintains pressure in the return fuel line to around 23PSI, give or take.
    Last edited by K447; 08-05-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Eglin AFB
    If the Genesis and Virage FI are the same then there is a schrader valve in the feed line from the tank to the injectors. In my virage it's there on a T fitting.

Try this link and look at item 6 and 8. I couldn't pull up the pick on my work comp so it may or may not be what you are looking for. The schrader valve is where you need to test the fuel pressure.

An update on my side. I tried grounding the pump (via the brown wire and the engine block) and the pump clicked on. With the hose un-pinched I had ~23 pounds and ~30 pounds with it pinched. SUCCESS!!!!!! This test was done with the pressure regulator inserted the best I could back into the barb fitting on the underside of the tank cap. This now leads me to the next issues:

1) Given I first found the pressure regulator sitting in the bottom of my tank, I need to figure out how to better secure this.
    I finally found the cotter pin method. I've referenced the link here for others that are perhaps struggling to find it (it took me a while).

2) I'm now slightly concerned that my pump is not kicking in under normal circumstances (e.g. with the engine running and me not grounding the brown wire).
    I'll have to do my research as to why this might be the case, but I'm thinking I'm not the first with this problem. If anyone has any initial thoughts, that too would be helpful.

Last edited by K447; 08-07-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information