+1

Battery drain / Hard restart 03 Genesis I

Ok so yesterday I installed my brand new Odyssey PC625 yesterday. Voltage on MFI showed 12.7 The ski started right up MFI showed 13.5v+. So a few of us rode this around for a bit and I kept letting a couple different people ride it. We would stop switch and restart. When my sister came back she shut it off and came to the dock. My brother in law got on and he went to start it and it would not restart. I hauled out the starting fluid, sprayed a tiny bit in intake a it fired right up. Any ideas why this might not restart without using fluid. I know with my old battery when this happened it(red/white) was under 20v when cranking. I would think when its showing more than battery voltage it is charging. So when we stop it seems to drop below low enough to no restart. I also saw that when it started once it kept cranking and had to pull lanyard to stop. I also am only seeing 6400rpm at the highest. Any of these connected? I am hoping to let my sister and bro in law borrow it next week during their vacation since they live on a lake. Some help please!!

+1
    I just tested the battery again and have 12.7 volts. Would having the starter keep cranking on its own have anything to do with this. Its has done this a couple of times. The start/stop doesn't stop it. Only way to stop it is to pull lanyard. Maybe a LR 503 ???
    Last edited by rsracin05; 07-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do NOT loan the machine out until you have fixed this problem and confirmed it is properly fixed.

It sounds like the LR Start/Stop module has failed.

If you still have the original black start solenoid with metal backing plate, replace it. The originals are known to fail internally and can get stuck in the crank position, which can burn out the starter, the battery, and possibly other damage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Do NOT loan the machine out until you have fixed this problem and confirmed it is properly fixed.

It sounds like the LR Start/Stop module has failed.

If you still have the original black start solenoid with metal backing plate, replace it. The originals are known to fail internally and can get stuck in the crank position, which can burn out the starter, the battery, and possibly other damage.
    I should have said it cranks but didn't start. I have the brown backing plate. I read in the https://sites.google.com/site/polarispwcknowedge/ that the lr will allow it to crank but not start.

+1
    Ok so I did some more battery tests and at the battery I have 12.7v and the MFI shows 12.2-3 Is the computer seeing this lower voltage? Where does the MFI get its power and ground for? Is this a normal voltage drop? The actual spot I tested for power was at ground on motor and the starter solenoid battery side. Thanks for any ideas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsracin05 View Post
    Ok so I did some more battery tests and at the battery I have 12.7v and the MFI shows 12.2-3

Is the computer seeing this lower voltage? Where does the MFI get its power and ground for? Is this a normal voltage drop?

The actual spot I tested for power was at ground on motor and the starter solenoid battery side. Thanks for any ideas.
    The MFI voltage reading is often not highly accurate.

If you have a good quality digital multimeter then it should be much more accurate than the dash display for voltage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Ok so I did some more battery tests and at the battery I have 12.7v and the MFI shows 12.2-3

Is the computer seeing this lower voltage? Where does the MFI get its power and ground for? Is this a normal voltage drop?

The actual spot I tested for power was at ground on motor and the starter solenoid battery side. Thanks for any ideas.
    The MFI voltage reading is often not highly accurate.

If you have a good quality digital multimeter then it should be much more accurate than the dash display for voltage.
    Both of my skis crank when the voltage on the MFD is reading below 10v. With a DMM on the bat it neverdrops below 11v

+1
    Ok this problem has to be my LR. Sarted it up ran around about 10 min. Came back shut it off too early tried to start again to get closer to the dock and it turns over no start. Wait about 30 min maybe less it fires right up. I have a good meter I was just wondering if the computer doesn't see all the voltage too.

+1
    Ok this problem has to be my LR. Sarted it up ran around about 10 min. Came back shut it off too early tried to start again to get closer to the dock and it turns over no start. Wait about 30 min maybe less it fires right up. I have a good meter I was just wondering if the computer doesn't see all the voltage too.
    Well, you can bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module for test purposes.

Search my recent posts for LR-503 in the post title, should turn up the bypass details.

Thread Information