96 SL700 Starter removal

Can anybody help me before I break something. I have a SL700 with the Red domestic Polaris engine and I want to remove the starter. I have removed all the exhaust components. I am now attempting to remove the starter. I have removed the two mounting bolts near the rear of the starter but the started won't budge. I have tried tapping it with a hammer. I have also tried to wedge a pry bar between the starter housing and the inner magneto cover but I'm afraid I'm going to crack the magneto cover. I have not removed the flywheel cover, I was hoping I didn't have to but is there something in there I have to unscrew or take off to release the starter? The starter itself looks like the same one on my 94 SL650 but on the SL700 it looks like the starter slides into a 3 in. tube that is part of the magneto cover, one solid piece. I can only assume based on the starter pictures that there is shaft in the tube that connects to the Bendix. I can't find any step by step instructions for the SL700. The picture in the repair manual does not look like the SL700. Is there something I'm missing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nothing inside the mag housing is holding the starter. Remove the two bolts at the aft end of the starter, remove the B+ cable then pull it straight back out of the housing. Twisting slightly or wiggling as you pull may help break the corrosion and whatever else has it stuck in place.

Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure before I really put some effort into it. I didn't want to break or crack anything. There is no twisting or wiggling, it is really stuck in there. It won't even budge.

+1
    If you haven't already, you can hose the area down with some PB blaster. Might help to work some of it free.....

I had tried some PB Blaster to no avail. Like everything else on these PWC, nothing is ever easy. I ended up breaking the sleeve off the starter while trying to pry and tap out with a hammer. So in the end I still had to take the tank out, remove the fly wheel cover, the fly wheel and the reduction gear so I could beat the broken sleeve out through the inner magneto cover. But the agony didn't stop there. When I went to put the exhaust back in, it didn't slide in as easy as it did coming out. The only difference between removal and intallation was I replace one of the engine mounts. This might have changed the hight and clearence slightly. After cussing and fighting this thing for hours I ended up using pipe clamps in reverse to spread the haul opening far enough that I could slide the exhaust in. Because it was 12:30 in the morning when I finally finished putting everything back together, I hope to fire her up tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for everyones info and suggestions.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    next time use a heat gun on the mag cover....

Could you tell why the starter was so difficult to remove? Corrosion?

I can tell you the SLH's are tough to get the exhaust assembled and disassembled. No room!

Definately corrosion. It was so corroted you could barely make out the o-rings. The SL700 is back up and running great. Now back to my 5 year headache, the SL650.

Thread Information