Swapping EMM's MSX 140 any issues?

I have 2 03' MSX 140's, 1 is running good the other not so good(not at all). Replaced fuel pump due to pressure on return not steady. Pulled the trouble codes using LED set-up 12, 17, 43, & 51. I've checked stator nothing to ground, checked between pins stated in service manuals .7 on 2 and .6 ohms on the other 3, the resistance is a bit higher than what book says is good but I checked the stator on the ski that is running good and got the same. I was going to try and swap EMM's but was not sure if this is a good idea or not, I see that swapping fuel injectors is not recommended.

+1
    Quick swap to verify is ok. The only risk is if a part on the pwc caused it to fail you could have a second failure. Each injection is slightly different and the EMM has injector info. For longer test swap injectors and EMM. I would not lake test with swapped EMM.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by keithg1964 View Post
    Quick swap to verify is ok. The only risk is if a part on the pwc caused it to fail you could have a second failure. Each injection is slightly different and the EMM has injector info. For longer test swap injectors and EMM. I would not lake test with swapped EMM.
    x2

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hubsta View Post
    I have 2 03' MSX 140's, 1 is running good the other not so good(not at all). Replaced fuel pump due to pressure on return not steady. Pulled the trouble codes using LED set-up 12, 17, 43, & 51. I've checked stator nothing to ground, checked between pins stated in service manuals .7 on 2 and .6 ohms on the other 3, the resistance is a bit higher than what book says is good but I checked the stator on the ski that is running good and got the same. I was going to try and swap EMM's but was not sure if this is a good idea or not, I see that swapping fuel injectors is not recommended.
    Did you check injector voltage?

What are the problem symptoms?

I pulled the emm and pulled the black metal and plastic covers off to see how it looked internally and found that on the plastic cover side the gelcoat had melted along the edges and the side with the 8 & 12 pin connector right in the middle, charred remains of whatever was there which im guessing is the regulator according to codes and voltages I am getting, and that great burnt electrical smell, my voltages were low on the injector voltages around 12-13vdc and with one injector plug pulled I would get 19vdc. Going to send off my emm to DFI tomorrow. Going to ensure cooling lines are free of kinks and debris and also check all wiring for solid connections.

I pulled the emm and pulled the black metal and plastic covers off to see how it looked internally and found that on the plastic cover side the gelcoat had melted along the edges and the side with the 8 & 12 pin connector right in the middle, charred remains of whatever was there which im guessing is the regulator according to codes and voltages I am getting, and that great burnt electrical smell, my voltages were low on the injector voltages around 12-13vdc and with one injector plug pulled I would get 19vdc. Going to send off my emm to DFI tomorrow. Going to ensure cooling lines are free of kinks and debris and also check all wiring for solid connections.
    So you can use the good EMM to supply the voltage (connect it to the 8 pin connector and 12 pin connector).
    And use the bad EMM to manage the engine. (48 pin connector).
    That is what i am doing since my power supply side burned out and my fix was not stable.

So i'm running with 2 EMMs.
    Just dont forget to connect a short cooling pipe between the EMMs so both will get cool water.

In one day i'll find a way to copy the old EMM parameters to the new one and i'll be able to use the new EMM only.

Gabi

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmagnezi View Post
    So you can use the good EMM to supply the voltage (connect it to the 8 pin connector and 12 pin connector).
    And use the bad EMM to manage the engine. (48 pin connector).
    That is what i am doing since my power supply side burned out and my fix was not stable.

So i'm running with 2 EMMs.
    Just dont forget to connect a short cooling pipe between the EMMs so both will get cool water.

In one day i'll find a way to copy the old EMM parameters to the new one and i'll be able to use the new EMM only.

Gabi
    Talk to ghostinstallations he should be able to transfer what you need. He's a good guy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmagnezi View Post

Gabi
    Talk to ghostinstallations he should be able to transfer what you need. He's a good guy to deal with.
    I know about him and was in contact with him,
    But i'm leaving in israel so sending both EMM to the US is expanssive and with lots of procedures to eliminate custom.

My next project is to have the SW and cable.

Gabi

Thread Information