Virage I 800 won't turn over

When I press the start button on my Virage I 800 twin, I can hear the bendix engage very solidly, but the engine won't turn over. The battery voltage drops to 6 volts, signifying (I think) a large current draw. How can I manually turn the engine over to make sure that it will turn? How do I go about pulling the starter if that becomes necessary? It looks to be buried in the exhaust system.

I have ruled out the battery as the issue. I have two skis, and I swapped batteries. Same problem. Everything was running fine until I stopped out in the lake to talk. When I went to start it, just "click."

Thanks!

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk!

If you remove the coupler cover at the rear of the engine, you can grab the coupler and spin the engine/pump by hand. If not, Pull the jetpump off and see if you can turn the engine itself by hand. If something is locked up, it could be the pump, or the engine.

The link in my signature will have most the info you need to start.

Thanks. I removed the spark plugs and took off the coupler cover. I could see the outer part of the coupler moving a degree or so when the bendix engaged. I wasn't able to move it much by hand, but i was able to reverse it by about 5 degrees or so. Then next time I hit the start button, the whole assembly rotated 90 degrees or so and made a gawdawfle noise. Pretty sure it came from the motor The next step is to remove the jet pump and try again. I will post back with whatever I find. Might be a while.

I think I have a used 800 crankshaft, if worst case scenario prevails....

Thanks skyboy. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, I'll be in touch.

I pulled the jetpump and it is fine. Motor still will not turn over. My current theory is that the bendix is staying engaged in the flywheel and is toast. When I start my good virage, I can hear the bendix engage and disengage. When I press the start button on the troubled virage, I hear a good "clunk" when the starter motor does its thing, but I don't think I hear the bendix moving along the shaft and engaging (or disengaging) the flywheel. Am I way off base? Or is this a known failure mode? Assuming it is the bendix, can i get to it without pulling the motor? Is there a preferred provider for these parts?
    Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldstimer View Post
    ... is this a known failure mode?

Assuming it is the bendix, can i get to it without pulling the motor?

Is there a preferred provider for these parts?
    Thanks!
    Bendix gears can fail, usually due to water getting inside the flywheel housing.

There is room in the Virage i hull to get at the front of the motor. It is doable, but such projects are always easier when the motor is on the bench. Flywheel usually needs a stout puller and hefty torque to get it off. Bendix is behind the flywheel.

List of Parts Sources via my signature links.
    Last edited by K447; 08-01-2013 at 09:33 AM.

I took the flywheel cover off, and the bendix is fine. The flywheel won't turn at all by hand. The motor is definitely seized. This will have to be a winter project; possibly not until next May. I will update this thread when I get the motor torn down.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldstimer View Post
    ... The motor is definitely seized. This will have to be a winter project; possibly not until next May...
    There is an entire Virage i 800 motor for sale in the Classifieds.

Thread Information