Thread: Fouled Plugs?

Fouled Plugs?

So this weekend my Dad and I were just cruising around the lake and since it was really rough needed to get back into some of the smaller lakes on our chain. This meant A LOT of closed throttle idling. As we got through each one I noticed on takeoff it was getting a little boggy and was taking a little longer to plane out. Once it got to top speed it was fine again. Well coming back the situation seemed to get worse. The ski was now starting to smoke more than normal and after the last closed throttle area (probably about 10 minutes long) I slammed the throttle and it literally stuck at about 6000-6200 rpms and would not get faster than 47mph. I thought at first it may have been the power valves not opening and I felt ZERO pipe, just seemed like an 800 virage or so. I let off after about 30 seconds of this and got back on it and bam it was back to 7750-7850rpms and 63mph.

I run jetworks on the pipes just like the watcon setup. Just wondering if I fouled the plugs during so much idle or if it sounds like the PV werent working correctly. Never had a valved or piped ski before so I'm not sure what to think. Pulled the plugs when i got back and they were a little dirtier than normal but I wouldnt say bad. Also ran it on the hoist and valves looked to be opening correctly on revs.

What do you guys think?

Banned User
    +1
    I would make sure the valves are clean. Some cheaper oils will mess them up pretty bad.

+1
    yeah sounds like it was loaded up and then cleared out , 785's are not made to idle that's forsure

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by slx1200 View Post
    ... A LOT of closed throttle idling.
    ... after the last closed throttle area (probably about 10 minutes long) I slammed the throttle and it literally stuck at about 6000-6200 rpms and would not get faster than 47mph. I thought at first it may have been the power valves not opening and I felt ZERO pipe, just seemed like an 800 virage or so. I let off after about 30 seconds of this and got back on it and bam it was back to 7750-7850rpms and 63mph.

I run jetworks on the pipes just like the watcon setup. Just wondering if I fouled the plugs during so much idle or if it sounds like the PV werent working correctly. Never had a valved or piped ski before so I'm not sure what to think. Pulled the plugs when i got back and they were a little dirtier than normal but I wouldnt say bad. Also ran it on the hoist and valves looked to be opening correctly on revs.

What do you guys think?
    When running at low RPM for extended time periods with Jetworks valves you must burp the throttle fairly frequently to allow some cooling water into the exhaust, otherwise the exhaust system will cook itself, particularly the rubber hose sections.

If you were not doing this, inspect all the exhaust hoses for signs of heat damage. Soft areas, blisters, etc. sometimes the heat causes the hose to delaminate on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... A LOT of closed throttle idling.
    ... after the last closed throttle area (probably about 10 minutes long) I slammed the throttle and it literally stuck at about 6000-6200 rpms and would not get faster than 47mph. I thought at first it may have been the power valves not opening and I felt ZERO pipe, just seemed like an 800 virage or so. I let off after about 30 seconds of this and got back on it and bam it was back to 7750-7850rpms and 63mph.

What do you guys think?
    When running at low RPM for extended time periods with Jetworks valves you must burp the throttle fairly frequently to allow some cooling water into the exhaust, otherwise the exhaust system will cook itself, particularly the rubber hose sections.

If you were not doing this, inspect all the exhaust hoses for signs of heat damage. Soft areas, blisters, etc. sometimes the heat causes the hose to delaminate on the inside.
    Good Advice. I was doing this and keeping an eye on the water outlets just from general knowledge of how the cooling system works. One question I have though is even with the jetworks valves the water outlets still trickle water. Less than without them, but it's still coming out.

Should I add a shim so water stops coming out the outlets at idle or is a trickle normal?

+1
    Should I add a shim so water stops coming out the outlets at idle or is a trickle normal?
    The Jetworks valves control flow into the exhaust system, not into the pissers.

Review how your water flow works. I expect you will see that the Jetworks valves do not feed the pissers.

I get that they dont feed the pissers but the pissers do piss the water that comes from the jetworks valves..am i correct? so the way im thinking about this is if the pissers are trickling water at idle, the jetworks valves arent keeping the water out at idle. Or do i have this confused?

Banned User
    +1
    I believe the pissers are the water outlets from the pipes. SO I think what you are saying is correct.

+1
    I get that they don't feed the pissers but the pissers do piss the water that comes from the jetworks valves ...
    Both cannot be true.

The water that flows through the water jackets of the pipes dumps out the pissers, correct?

The water that goes through the Jetworks valves ends up inside the exhaust flow and gets blown out with the exhaust at the back of the hull, correct?

Thread Information