Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage I 800 cylinder scored/ no compression after 4 hours of use?

Hey Guys,

Let me first start off by saying I am new to Jet Skis but and this forum. So anyways here is my story. I got a 2002 Virage I 800 off of a trade and it had no compression in the rear cylinder (closest to the back of the ski) and I knew this going into the trade. So I took the cylinder off and found that the rear cylinder was horribly scored (small sliver of piston was off). So the trader's back story is that the motor was completely gone through about 4-5 hours prior and was done "professionally". So then after it was rebuilt he wanted to sell it and let a couple he knew borrow it for a weekend and "test" it out. They came back with only 4 hours on it and they said it all of a sudden stop running. He did a compression check and saw it was low so he just put the ski in the garage and left it there. A year later I come in to the picture and get this on a trade. All I know about this ski is what he told me. So I have the cylinders at the machine shop to get bored and new pistons. The rods feel tight and spins smoothly. My question is what could be the possible cause of the failure? One of the seals in the lower end be bad causing that side to lean out? Bent rod? etc. Or possibly be a problem with the injector? I have never dealt with a water cooled direct injected motor before, I am an old school snowmobile guy lol.

At the moment I just plan on putting the new top end and ride it and hope for the best. If anyone has any tribal knowledge and this has happened to them please let me know of what you discovered.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is there any sign that the cylinder scoring or piston damage was the result of metal debris from a failing crank bearing? If a bottom end bearing is failing then the metal bits can travel up into the upper cylinder and do damage. Sometimes a bad bearing will not feel 'tight' or loose.

Another possibility is that the engine ingested some water and hydraulically locked and/or cracked the piston. Hydro locking can also damage the connecting rod or the lower end bearings.

See my signature links regarding the Ficht fuel injected engines, in particular the info on fuel pressure and deleting the exhaust water injection solenoid.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are installed.

It looks like there was a piece of metal off of the piston that may have traveled down. Looking at the case, it looks like in the past the rod either came loose of broke off as around the base where the top of the crank case meets the head, its chipped out as tho the motor was running with a loose rod. Maybe this is why it was rebuild in the past? I am unaware. I will check the info in your signature. Any way to "bench test" a injector?

The plugs that were in it are app5224 which according to their cross reference guide they are the same as the pzfr6h plug.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by viane View Post
    The plugs that were in it are app5224 which according to their cross reference guide they are the same as the pzfr6h plug.
    They are not the same. The NGK ones are the ONLY ones you can use. None of the other ones run right.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by viane View Post
    It looks like there was a piece of metal off of the piston that may have traveled down.

Looking at the case, it looks like in the past the rod either came loose of broke off as around the base where the top of the crank case meets the head, its chipped out as tho the motor was running with a loose rod. Maybe this is why it was rebuild in the past? I am unaware.

I will check the info in your signature.

Any way to "bench test" a injector?
    No.

At this point it seems unlikely the fuel injection system had anything to do with the failure.

If it was my engine I would be pulling it apart for a thorough internal inspection.

I am really thinking that is the way I am gonna go. I would like to get it on the water this year but I'd rather make sure it will last then have to take the motor down again after a couple hours and waste more money.

Here are the pics of the piston.

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]308682

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]308683

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]308684

[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130729_185243.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	308685
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130729_185211.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	308682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130729_185229.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	308683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130729_185236.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	308684  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned User
    +1
    Is that cylinder getting any oil? Looks like a failure from lack of oil. The rod on that cylinder looks funny too. I would tear it down completely and see what else is going on there. Check out your oil lines and the check valves where the oil lines connect to the throttle bodies.

Looking again, that piston top looks like it may have been getting water in the cylinder.

Yea the rod kind of looks beat up. That chunk out of the case by the rod ok? I think I am going to tear it down and replace the rod. The other side/ piston looks all completely normal to me. I will look to see if there is a blockage in the oil line this week sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information