Thread: Head striped

+1

Head striped

I'm mainly a sd mechanic had a customer bring me 2 yam 2007 vx for oil Change and air filters I talked him in to new plugs as they looked very corroded and last one was a bitch to get out when I put new one in stripped is their any thing I can do or where to get head fixed thanks.
    Last edited by IBADTON; 07-29-2013 at 08:53 PM.

+1
    Has any one put a helicoil or is it impossible because so deep in hole?

+1
    Chad, these are 10mm plugs, I bet you over tightened it and it stripped. They are not that tolerant.
    I think head needs to come out.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    best to pull the head off...maybe you can talk him into needing a new head gasket?

on a side note..the lack of genral maintenance on this ski was likely the cause of the problem (I've never seen a Yamaha that needed an air filter ( and what's up with that anyway?)unless the engine was overfilled with oil, but offer to eat some of the labor, since it was YOUR idea to change the plugs out.

note to others..if you see any corrosion "down there" liberal applications of pb blaster and wd-40 can prevent the heartbreak of hours of extra work)

the nature of pwc engines with plug tunnels makes it pretty hard to strip the threads out..typically the plug breaks off during removal.

+1
    I pb blasted 1/2 a can on them. I thank they were the original plugs and bad corroded.air filter full of oil like every yam I service. Replace with r&d

+1
    That is tough. Hind sight is 20/20. Maybe in said condition, give no guarantees on getting them out with skis in such horrible maintenance condition. Never heard it as a major issue on a Yamaha as on the older Kawasaki 4 strokes. If you can't torque it down, will have to pull the head.

+1
    Update I stop because I was pissedstarted back on it today and found that new plug just broke so I have to get threads out witch should not be bad since new plug.gonna get a ford spark plug remove tool from Matco in morning wish me luck but relived for sure

Broke a plug a few months ago, gotta pull the head and special order a new tap and die set, its not something you will be able to find off the shelf. Buy the VX110 manual on ebay for 5 or 6 bucks and the step by step is pretty straight forward. It something that can be in an out within a day or two, as long as the machinist has the proper tools.

+1
    Tony matco and other tool co makes a (ford) spark plug removal tool. Same set up and spark plug as yam sorry you went to all trouble to pull head did you pull motor as that's easer to get head off

Thread Information