Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What could it be?

Hi Guys, Newbie here. I just bought my first PWC....just got a lakehouse and needed something to cruise around the lake . Anyway I picked up a used Polaris Virage I with only 22.4 hours on the engine. The first few times I took it out it fired RIGHT UP. One push of the button. Thing was beautiful. I kept commenting on how awesome it just turned over. Its been about 3-4 weeks now and I only get up to use it on weekends. about a week ago my girlfriend went to start it and it rumbled and died. I then gave it a few tries and it worked. The next day it wouldn't start....you could hear it tumbling but it wouldn't fire up. I pulled the battery, charged it, and tried it later on and it worked. We then took it out and it worked great (runs great). It started every time we stopped and restarted with 1 push. Then this weekend after sitting for a week I couldn't get it started. I then took out the battery again and charged it but couldn't get it to start. I messed around with hitting the throttle and kept trying and it eventually went. Used it all afternoon and it fired up every time with 1 push of the button (about 5-6 times). Sunday morning I get up and go down there and IT WONT START. The battery is saying its at 11.4 volts when I try to start it it drops to 9.4 volts. Could this be a battery? I haven't even put a full tank through it....it had stabilizer in it and was running great. Should I put in an additive? Again it was PERFECT for weeks when I got it, and now when it doesn't start it tumbles but just never fires up. Could this be a battery? Spark Plugs? Worse? Carb? Should I put in an additive (guy I bought it from said to do that) and start using 92 Octane? Thanks so much for any help!! (PS how come I cant do paragraph breaks in posting on this forum?) PPS inside of it gets about 1/2 inch of water when I ride (is that ok?) Pump doesn't work on it.....also its grimey inside from the water....that normal?

I would replace the battery.There is a certain voltage that if they fall below they will lose spark.Also if the hoses are original replace and if the old ones I would avise a carb clean/rebuilt.There is a filter in thr carb that can becomed clogged.
    Also this is not hard to do.I am new to PWC.Read the stickys on top they are filled with good info!
    Try clicking on advanced and click on upper right corner on the A looking things.This fixed it for me.

+1
    What ski is this? Just a Virage, not an i, tx, txi, etc? I assume it has the red domestic twin 700 cc engine?

These skis are very picky about battery voltage. Just the other day I dropped a "good" battery in mine and it wouldn't fire up despite turning over fine. Threw a battery in that was freshly charged and a year newer and it instantly fired up. You should see 12.3V or better when sitting and greater than 10.5V while cranking at a minimum. If you have a local gas station that has ethanol free gas at a reasonable price that's a very good option as well.

Here's a good site with some info on Polaris skis: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

If it is a 700cc carbed Virage, I'd recommend going through the fuel system, rebuilding the carb and replacing all gray tempo fuel lines if it still has them. A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way.

If the bilge pump does not work there's a good chance it's either locked up (never seen this) or the fuse has blown. Be sure to get this working. If you are getting water in the hull it could be a number of places but the first places I'd look would be exhaust hoses, coolant lines, through-hull seal/bearing assembly, etc. It's normal to get a little bit of water in the hull but it shouldn't be much.
    Don't bother with any additives in the fuel unless it is fuel stabilizer towards the end of the season. Polaris recommends a minimum octane of 89 for these things and that's waht I run in my skis without any issues.

Also, I too leave my skis in hoists on the water and know what you're talking about. I try to remove the seat before and after riding for a bit to allow the hull to air out and for any moisture inside to evaporate off. I generally leave the seat slightly up (in place just not fully latched). But, you never know when you might have high winds to just be cautious about leaving the seat/hood propped.

EDIT: I just saw that you said it's a Virage I. Guess my reading comprehension skills aren't very good today. If that's the case disregard what I said about the carbs and fuel line rebuilds. What spark plugs are in the ski? They should be NGK PZFR6H. There are no substitutes here.
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 07-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by neck4752 View Post
    Anyway I picked up a used Polaris Virage I with only 22.4 hours on the engine.
    My Virage I has a hard time starting also. Once its warmed up it's usually fine, but once it cools down it's a pita to start again.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. Going to try charging up the battery and if I get it started on a full battery then I know I am looking at a battery loosing juice and will go with a new one.

Regarding the pump I will look at that this weekend. Can I remove the pump from the ski and then bring it somewhere to get a new one? How can I tell if the fuse is blown?

Thanks again
    Jim

+1
    "The battery is saying its at 11.4 volts when I try to start it it drops to 9.4 volts. Could this be a battery? I haven't even put a full tank through it....it had stabilizer in it and was running great. "

If you have a good volt meter that is accurate, then the issue is battery voltage is tooooo low to run. Somewhere at 10.5 volts and below at crank, things degrade immediately... I have seen zero spark or minimal spark.. which is probably what you are experiencing with voltage that low at crank.( When it runs it runs well, so likely not a fuel issue or anything mechanically with the motor or carbs) Get a battery charger on it, get it to 100%, get your voltmeter setup, and crank it over. Bet you will have spark, and I bet voltage will be over 10.5... you can continue to start and shutoff motor paying attention not to run long, and keep heat out of motor, until you drain bat. below 10.5 at crank(may take you awhile if Bat is good, so please pay attention to heat), and I bet you will have same issue of hard start. More than likely battery is at end of life, and is time to be recycled, and replaced. Good luck and glad you are enjoying that Polaris!!!

PS... I will sometimes just put an external drain on Bat, rather than starting it... if you have a big QBeam spotlight, that will suck the battery down pretty quickly, rather than starting over and over. or just have bat tested... easiest of all...

+1
    Can you confirm that this is a Virage I with the 800cc ficht fuel injected motor?

Hi ThrottleOut,

Yes this is a Virage I with the 800cc Ficht FI

boomanch,

What do you mean by being careful of the heat? I don't understand? Is this always the case?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by neck4752 View Post
    boomanch,

What do you mean by being careful of the heat? I don't understand? Is this always the case?
    He is saying that if you attempt to run the battery down by frequently restarting and stopping the engine, the engine can become hot just from all the running, and the starter motor can become overheated from being used so frequently.

My approach would be to either have the battery properly tested on a real battery test machine, or just go ahead and install a high grade battery.

My recommended battery these days is the Deka ETX16L, which is a factory sealed AGM type battery. Deka (East-Penn) also sells this battery through other brands, and can be recognized by the unique Deka battery post design and the red protective cap on the positive post.

Note the brass ring spacers and the two threaded holes in each battery post. This allows the cable to be attached from either the top or the side. The spacer rings are only required for the side cable connections.

Here is the same battery sold under the Big Crank brand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	etx16main.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	308904

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	akkumulyatornaya-batareya-deka-sports-power-etx16l-cca-275-etx16l-162da106.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	308903

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information