Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Gp1200R.....pretty much stole it.

Hi, new on the forum here. I recently purchased a 02 gp1200r with a ton of performance parts for nothing with the trailer ($2000). Kid didn't really know what it was...but his loss. wish I took start to finish pics but ski looks like new now. Recently rebuild the top with 150 on the clock and she def wants to tear my arms off. Ski is all torque and bottom end. Parts on it include, Riva intake grate and rideplate, R and D high compression heads, D plate, full riva exhaust, reed stuffers, Riva aftermarket airfilters, riva sponsoons. I had her on glass today and most I got out on the bs-o-meter was 62. With these decent amount of performance parts does this sound about right? First gp I have owned so im just trying to gauge. Like I said runs like a raped date down low and through the band. Just thought she would be faster up top. Any help would be appreciated

+1
    Get a tiny tach and find your rpms. I am thinking its either PV's not fully opening or maybe wear ring. Also buy a gps and find your real speed. Cell phone gps apps work great too. It should be doing a solid 65ish to high 60's? Maybe some 70's if the tuning was done spot on

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ac17 View Post
    Hi, new on the forum here. I recently purchased a 02 gp1200r with a ton of performance parts for nothing with the trailer ($2000). Kid didn't really know what it was...but his loss. wish I took start to finish pics but ski looks like new now. Recently rebuild the top with 150 on the clock and she def wants to tear my arms off. Ski is all torque and bottom end. Parts on it include, Riva intake grate and rideplate, R and D high compression heads, D plate, full riva exhaust, reed stuffers, Riva aftermarket airfilters, riva sponsoons. I had her on glass today and most I got out on the bs-o-meter was 62. With these decent amount of performance parts does this sound about right? First gp I have owned so im just trying to gauge. Like I said runs like a raped date down low and through the band. Just thought she would be faster up top. Any help would be appreciated
    sounds like a killer deal...these skis run like 61-62 stock (on GPS) from what i've read...when i test rode my stock 02GPR the factory speedo was showing 59-62 with messed up carbs

i would think that your ski would be breaking into the 70s with a pipe/higher c/r, especially with the rest of the supporting mods

+1
    Yea I know it has to have more....once and awhile after cruising I'll let off the gas then hammer down and it feels like it gained power and gets a kick in the ass....but still only does 62 and rpms are around 7 grand maybe a little more....can't quite figure it out tho

Banned User
    +1
    Maybe that kids smarter than you?.....

6. +1 by:

GGG

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ac17 View Post
    ........Parts on it include, Riva intake grate and rideplate, R and D high compression heads, D plate, full riva exhaust, reed stuffers, Riva aftermarket airfilters, riva sponsoons. I had her on glass today and most I got out on the bs-o-meter was 62. ........ Just thought she would be faster up top.
    How much compression on the head?
    Was the jetting modified with those aftermarket flame arrestors?
    A "D" plate alone without heating your pipe can sometimes cost you about 50 rpms.
    A RIVA stinger will generally get you a great bottom end with extra torque, but will cost your rpms on the top. The stock pipe will get you a good bottom end and a very good top end.
    You did not say anything about an aftermarket ride plate.
    You did not say anything about an aftermarket impeller.

You made a good purchase dude, but you cannot bolt on parts and expect her to give you all the love she can without some TLC.

All of these things have to be address, applied, and adjusted to allow the GPR to give its best performance. She will be faster, you just have to put in the time and effort.

Congrats on a very good buy.

Banned User
    +1
    They all run mean n lean before they blow. I foresee a wtf did my ski just melt a piston thread coming very soon

+1
    ..thanks for all the info.....only have taken it out 4 times since I rebuilt the top and if anything she doesn't run "mean And lean" but a little rich cause after you run her awhile you can pop a plug a see some unburned fuel sizzle out....yea I couldn't lose on the deal but she really just needs to be dialed in...thanks again

+1
    Hey great find. Do not pay any mind to "thatdude596", he is always doom & gloom. if you always give your ski the attention it will require; you should have no issues. Have fun & be safe ... good luck

Banned User
    +1
    New guy new to the forums bragging about how he ripped some kid off. I hope it blows it or like unsaid before maybe that kid was smarter than the buyer and sold it for a reason. Ozark you break 70 yet? Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information