Reversed Polarity from battery. What damage??? 96 SLTX

Alright well I will start by saying after replacing the Terminal board, CDI, Stator, and flywheel I still cannot get her to start. Whoever had the ski before me didn't replace the gaskets on the E-box and flywheel cover when doing the update and therefore after one wet day on the lake they fried the CDI and Stator. So I have replaced everything and still cant figure out why it wont start. Turns over all day but wont start.
    Yesterday though, after working on the ski endlessly for 5 hours and at one point going head-first into the storage compartment to access the flywheel and getting stuck inside of the ski, I accidentally put the negative on the positive and visa versa with the battery cables and attempted to start it. Now if it means anything once the cables were on backwards the bilge pump was on, which has never happened and im assuming it was in reverse, and when I tried to start it the starter spun backwards and did nothing. Needless to say I took out the gas tank again and checked the flywheel because I thought I messed that up but I didnt it was just stupidity. Anyways so its all back together today and not starting again. And thats even with some starting fluid in the carbs to give me a for sure start if there was spark. So now what? Could I have fried the CDI when I reveresed polarity? Checked the power to CDI red/purple and there was 12.77 volts there, and 11.8 on the mfd during cranking. Checked the brown stator wire with ground to engine and got nothing?????

+1
    Anything is possible,but whenever I've seen that done in the past, all that ever happened was a fuse or two was blown.

+1
    Dito... check fuses I do not think you fried your CDI. Although, I have done that with my Polaris 750 ... the power box sits right on top of the battery ... very poor design back then.
    Last edited by K447; 07-30-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: not

+1
    [P. S. I ment to say "I do not think you fried " your CDI. (fat fingers on keys)

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    lay off the starter fluid before something really bad happens

a picnic ketchup bottle with a little premix is what I use to get balky motors started.

Thanks for the help. Glad to hear I most likely didnt fry anything. i will get some new fuses just in case. So then the question becomes whats next? I have checked everything, Start switch, stop switch, stator, cdi, coils, wires, plugs, solenoid, etc. There are a few odd connections that dont seem right to me though. That being said the bilge pump also does not run what could that mean? there is no start/stop bilge switch on the 96 sltx how do I rule it out?

When I initially connect the negative cable to the battery the bilge pump spins for a second then stops, and never comes back on. Is this a problem?

Banned User
    +1
    On the Polaris machines, especially the domestics, you usually cook something when you hook up the battery backwards. Its imperative to double and triple check you are connecting the battery properly before actually doing so.

So back to square 1? testing and re-checking every component? I guess its a good thing I got my hands on 3 new CDI's and 2 more stators. Well tomorrow I will be starting from the ground up literally, the engine block ground all the through to the fuel sender!

Thread Information