Ultra 300X Intercooler flushing vs. 250X

So I just picked up a 2013 300X. I also have a 2008 250X. The 250X I flush the engine every time I ride since I'm a salt water rider. The 250X only has an engine flush fitting, nothing for the intercooler.

The 300X has two fittings for flushing, one for the engine and a 2nd for the intercooler. No problem, I can do both. So now I'm wondering was there a design change on the 300X intercooler that needs the flushing or did they just not think about that in 2008 on the 250X? If so, has my 250X intercooler been rotting slowly over the years from my inadvertent neglect?

250x intercooler gets flushed too, the difference is the cooling/flush line is not seperate like on the 300x.

Quote Originally Posted by OC_JAX View Post
    250x intercooler gets flushed too, the difference is the cooling/flush line is not seperate like on the 300x.
    Thanks!

+1
    if you notice the 250 has a hose on the top of the i/c that is connected to the engine exhaust manifold this is where it is flushed from.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    if you notice the 250 has a hose on the top of the i/c that is connected to the engine exhaust manifold this is where it is flushed from.
    Thanks, good to know. I wonder why the changed it to two connections? Or, on the 300X, if I flush the engine, does the IC get flushed too?

+1
    the 300 is more effecient as the water going to the 250 is preheated from the manifold. the 300 has its own supply so it is cooler GET IT and no you need to flush the 300 seperatly like i said the 300 is missing the top i/c feed hose. water goes in the bottom and out the bottom. the 250 had water entering the bottom and the top then exitint the bottom. if your concerned lift the seat and have a man look

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    the 300 is more effecient as the water going to the 250 is preheated from the manifold. the 300 has its own supply so it is cooler GET IT and no you need to flush the 300 seperatly like i said the 300 is missing the top i/c feed hose. water goes in the bottom and out the bottom. the 250 had water entering the bottom and the top then exitint the bottom. if your concerned lift the seat and have a man look
    Got it. I'll check it out. Thanks again!

Hmmm... so perhaps the 250x "quick but maybe not quite as efficient" intercooler cooler trick would be to eliminate the top feed line and add a flush fitting instead - cool water would flow in from the rear, out the front with no warm input at the top. Could be done in minutes without removing the intercooler.

Does the 300x have a restricted fitting at the pump like the 250x, or does the fitting allow a bit more flow since there isn't a second (warm) input at the top?

+1
    search dual bottom feed, its one of the things we done years ago

Quote Originally Posted by merlinbasenji View Post
    Hmmm... so perhaps the 250x "quick but maybe not quite as efficient" intercooler cooler trick would be to eliminate the top feed line and add a flush fitting instead - cool water would flow in from the rear, out the front with no warm input at the top. Could be done in minutes without removing the intercooler.

Does the 300x have a restricted fitting at the pump like the 250x, or does the fitting allow a bit more flow since there isn't a second (warm) input at the top?

Found that nice bit of info already - I used the original feed with a tee to split to front and rear inputs, drain from top - didn't like the idea of installing another feed in that distribution block, seemed risky for blowing out the fitting.

I didn't see any info about whether or not the fitting at the pump could be drilled out a bit for more flow, and wondered if the 300x had a similar restricted fitting, or a standard "full flow" fitting? My '07 has a fitting at the pump like the one on the exhaust manifold, with a rather small orifice restricting the flow.

Thread Information