Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

05rxp, cavating, low rpm and low mph

This is my first post on this forum. i want to greet everyone and also say thanks for the best jet ski forum by far. I have been reading on this forum for months now. before and after purchasing my ski. I am new to owning and operating a jet ski, and this forum has really answered alot of newb questions. I plan on doing all my own maintance and repairs thru out the life of my 2005 rxp.
    That being said, after researching on this forum i still cant find a solid answer.
    I purchased a 2005 RXP, it has been cavation in the holshot. i inspected my wearring and prop. Both look worn out. I am asking for input on possibly buying a Solas impeller 13/18 and an OEM style wear ring. The only mods on the ski are OPAS block off and thru hull exhaust. I reserched
    and found that the stock pitch is 13/18 on a 05 RXP, given i dont have mods to support a higher pitch. Will i have any draw backs from using this
    Solas impeller given the pitch is stock?

Im also diagnoising a low mph and low rpm issue. im seeing 59 mph gps @ 7200 rpm. lake water around 85 degrees, 165 lb rider,full tank, trim one notch above neutral.
    What i have down so far is; change oil and spark plugs, oil level half way between the marks warm, installed the knock sensor harness. I was thinking i had an update downloaded for the knock sensor when i went to the dealer to reset the VTS after a battery replacement. However after installing the harnness, the check engine came on stated the knock sensor was out of range. Needless to say that was removed and i moved on. Thanks for any input you guys have.

+1
    Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!

I would start with the oem wear ring. If that doesn't fix your issue then either have your stock impeller reworked or buy the solas.
    If your staying stock I'd save the $$$ and have the stock impeller reworked if the oem wear ring doesn't fix the issue.

Rip on..

Welcome! I imagine a search on cavitation would have also gotten you multiple threads on carbon seal/bellow boot info. And the new pump seal many are currently using

+1
    thanks everyone so far. I plan buying an OEM wear ring, and ill call around for a local prop shop to rework the prop. I just figure a new prop, wear ring, wear ring tool combo would save me some time. Ill try and post pictures soon, because there is damge on the prop (cuts and deep scratches on the blades)

To my understanding, damage to a prop could cause low rpms and mph on the top end. i just havent decided on purchasing the prop kit yet.
    I just wanted to makie sure going with a Solas designed prop while staying with the stock pitch 13/18 would hurt.

Most definitely! Speed and RPM are both sensitive to impeller damage (primarily if there are any dents or bends at all to the blades). Which pitch depends on your mod plans and how far you plan to take them.

Also, www.impros.com in CA repairs impellers

+1
    ive spent alot of time understanding that concept about pitch and how it affects rpm. i even went as fas as making my own prop pitch gauge tool. I am a automotive techican and the whole dynamic from changing pitch to hp levels and keeping the rpms in a safe place was hard to relate.

+1
    blkturbo, thanks for the link!

+1
    damaged 4 tech impellers typically gain rpm-- blades bend up, not down = less pitch than stock. Does the super charger fan spin with your finger when the intake tube is removed from the front of your charger?

+1
    I wouldn't say spin, with a lot of force I can make it move a little . That's good info on real world affects on damage props.. Makes sense

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information