+1

Starter switch test

I'm trying to find out if my starting issue is just my starter switch. It's not my battery, relay or starter. All of these have and are getting power, but I think it's my switch. I don't even get a click when I press the button. However, I do not want to take it apart as its got tiny screws and springs and I've already done that and that is why I am having issues. I took my old switch apart and could not put it back together and had to order another one that is used, but claimed it was working. Is there a way to test it for power?

+1
    Test for voltage at the solenoid small wire and also unhook the solenoid small wire(s) and test for continuity. If the coil inside the solenoid has gone bad you could have power to it but nothing happening.

+1
    So, check the voltage at the smaller wires from the relay? Can you be a little more specific as to which one to check? I am pretty sure it is hooked up correctly, but if you could tell me what to test exactly? Thanks

+1
    The starter solenoid has a coil inside that when powered up pulls in and makes a contact for the main large power wire. On one large power wire you will always have 12vdc. Now the coil part of the solenoid is what the small wires control. Some solenoids only have a 12v positive coming in because the metal body of the solenoid itself is grounded. Others are not and require a 12v input and a ground. If yours has 2 small wires you can check for continuity between the 2. If it reads no continuity or open that means the coil portion is bad and the solenoid is junk. If it only has 1 small power wire and no ground wire then you would check between that power wire and the metal solenoid housing. If that all tests good then you need to check for 12v at the small solenoid coil wire when you press the start button. If you get 12v coming in and still the solenoid does nothing then the actual plunger inside the solenoid is stuck or the contacts inside are no good, that means the solenoid is junk. And on other occasions everything acts like it's supposed to but when the solenoid makes contact it only passes a few volts through to the starter instead of full battery voltage. That would be worn out contacts and again, a junk solenoid.

PS: plain old lawnmower solenoids from the parts store work just fine if they will fit into the electrical box.

+1
    Thanks, will look at it this weekend.

Thread Information