Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

95 Polaris sl750 fuel issues..stumped

Ok so I've read through about 50 different posts trying to figure this problem out and figured I would throw this up see if anyone has an answer. I bought this ski a few months back with no motor in the hull but a brand new fresh rebuilt motor ready to drop in. Put the motor in the hull got everything wired in. Tested compression all 3 at 130. Took it out to the lake and it ran good for 15 minutes now it runs about 4000k rpms and wants to die constantly. If you keep one hand on the choke and pull the choke and drop it when it tries to die it catches itself and revs back up to 4k rpms. If you hit a wave it revs up to 6k or so but then drops when you hit water. Carbs are clean supposedly complete rebuild with motor. Plugs are nice and golden after 15 minutes while checked in middle of lake. Running a triple fuel pump, replaced pulse line to crank about 7" long.

Not sure if this is related or helps diagnose but it will only run if I put tank on res when it's on the motor gets no gas won't fire. Turn valve to res it fires up. I assume that valve has gone out and I'm going to replace with a primer bulb.

Any ideas? I thank you in advance.

what are the low speed adjusting screw set at? and also what are the high speed adjusting screws set at? who did the carburetor work huh? You?

I havent adjusted the carb screws at all. The carb work was done by tge same company who rebuilt the motor. Not sure of the company as I didn't pay for it. I've wanted to try adjusting them but my father insists that those screws are good with the piston wash and the plug check.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Does your ski have the silver fuel pickup inside the gas tank or separate fuel hoses? If it has the rubber hoses, check them. They get old and fall off.

Check your fuel filters for clogs. Sounds like you need to replace your fuel selector valve.

If using the choke at any time helps, you're starving for fuel.

RULE #1 NEVER trust the previous owner. Verify everything for yourself. Check your jets and screw settings against the repair manual specs.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Does your ski have the silver fuel pickup inside the gas tank or separate fuel hoses? If it has the rubber hoses, check them. They get old and fall off.

Check your fuel filters for clogs. Sounds like you need to replace your fuel selector valve.

If using the choke at any time helps, you're starving for fuel.

RULE #1 NEVER trust the previous owner. Verify everything for yourself. Check your jets and screw settings against the repair manual specs.
    To answer your questions. The fuel tank has the silver pickup not the hoses. I took the tank out and cleaned the whole thing while the motor was sitting on the shop floor.

Replaced fuel filters they weren't clogged but had no clue how old they were so figured they were due. The fuel selector valve I'm sure is bad but will just replace with a primer bulb instead of putting another valve in.

I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump? How much gas should come out of the lines when cranking it over? I pulled one of the lines off and it was a steady stream but if I had to describe it I would say it shoots maybe at most 1/2" out the end of the line. I know on cars when you pull a fuel line it shoots a good 3-4" with the pressure and this one seems like its a mere trickle. I have a fuel pump off of a 780 but its the hexagon style and not sure I hooked it up right because I got zero gas out of it. I pulled the hose sucked on it and it pulled up easy but pump didn't pull anything. On mikunis website they show the pump only with 2 outlets not three so not 100% sure I got the lines right on it.

Also I've read conflicting posts does a 95 have a limp mode or not? Some say yes some say no.

check the one way air check valves. as fuel is being used up it is replaced by air. the one way air check valve can be clogged and not letting air into the fuel tank. it be like trying to suck a bowling ball through a garden hose. quite impossible. starving of fuel after a few minutes.

I thought about that as well but wasn't 100% sure where they were. I've tried loosening the gas cap while on the lake and that didn't make a difference so I assumed that the air check was good. Does that sort of test not work on these skis?

+1
    All 750s have the standard pump in them .over time the pump gets weak and leans out a piston. Usually a hole in it. The cure for this is simple. Take the existing fuel system out and replace everything but the pickup in the tank.

Rebuild all 3 carbs check jetting numbers high speed and low speed jets. Check high speed needles for wear.same for the lows.

Replace fuel pump with triple outlet pump. Follow beerdarts fuell system routing diagram.
    Replace all the fuel lines with coast guard approved hose.

Make your pulse line under 12 inches.

Keep the restrictor from the old return line. Put it in the new. Return line.
    Do 1 line at a time .

Clean gas tank.
    Check for crack at gas cap on tank and on water seperator cap.

Oil filter too.

About 250.00 for all. Change the oring in the selector. Don't use a primrer ball. Use a primer that draws fuel from pumping it. It goes in the return line.
    Keep it low so you get a good primer feed of gas..

That should remedy any fuel issues
    Adjust high speed and low speed to specs.

Use BR8ES plugs gapped to. 028

Check float in pickup too. Not a bad idea to change that too.

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    All 750s have the standard pump in them .over time the pump gets weak and leans out a piston. Usually a hole in it. The cure for this is simple. Take the existing fuel system out and replace everything but the pickup in the tank.

Rebuild all 3 carbs check jetting numbers high speed and low speed jets. Check high speed needles for wear.same for the lows.

Replace fuel pump with triple outlet pump. Follow beerdarts fuell system routing diagram.
    Replace all the fuel lines with coast guard approved hose.

Make your pulse line under 12 inches.

Keep the restrictor from the old return line. Put it in the new. Return line.
    Do 1 line at a time .

Clean gas tank.
    Check for crack at gas cap on tank and on water seperator cap.

Oil filter too.

About 250.00 for all. Change the oring in the selector. Don't use a primrer ball. Use a primer that draws fuel from pumping it. It goes in the return line.
    Keep it low so you get a good primer feed of gas..

That should remedy any fuel issues
    Adjust high speed and low speed to specs.

Use BR8ES plugs gapped to. 028

Check float in pickup too. Not a bad idea to change that too.

Motor has a mikuni triple pump hooked up and I followed beerdarts fuel setup to run it with all three vs the standard rail that it was hooked up. I replaced all the fuel line from the tank all the way to the carbs.

Pulse line is 10" took it off and measured last night.

I checked the return line last night and the restrictor is in there. Now I didn't replace that line because it looked good and has no leaks.

I cleaned the gas tank while I had the motor on the shop floor. Checked water seperator last night and everything there looked good as well no cracks or leaks. Seal was good.

Oil pump has been removed and blocked off as the oil tank was gone.

I don't have br8es in there but I do have the autolite equivilent because my parts store didnt have them in stock. Not an autolite fan but it was all they had in that range.

I'm trying to avoid tearing into the carbs as they were supposedly just rebuilt.

How much fuel should that pump be kicking out? It seems to me that its not pumping anywhere near enough.

+1
    I've never actually seen one dis connected and pumping. Its suppose to pump 35/hr instead of stock at 13.

Do you see any bubbles in the lines?
    Re check all connections for being kinked broke loose too tight ete...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information