Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Any Recruiters in here to critique my resume?

I graduate this coming May with a Bachelors Degree in Business Admin w/ a marketing specialization...

i made a resume a few weeks ago, and met with the carrer center on campus, sent my resume to friends of mine in the business world in NYC, and had a few other people look it over.

I could not be more friggen confused!!! I've never gotten such contradictory critiques in my life!! and i'm really at a loss of what to think about my resume... i get placement supervisors telling me it's an excellent layout and good content and strong descriptive words leave it alone, then other career planning offices telling me the opposite, then i get business people telling me that my resume needs a serious overhaul and that they will send me their resume to follow their lead, then i get peers and family members telling me it looks fantastic

I hate being generic... why be ordinary like everyone else applying for the job, but obviously it needs to be a catchy yet semi-conservative type of document... i just dont know if i should leave it alone or totally overhaul it, or what... i've spent quite a bit of time doing it actually here and there

so is there anyone in the field or a recruiter or someone that is in a hiring position that would mind taking a look at it and giving me some honet feedback?

PM me or e-mail, it would be much appreciated....

and if anyone wants to hire me, i'd like to hear form you too! lol

Steve
    [email protected]

+1
    I'm no recruiting expert, but as a business owner who has reviewed many, many resumes, my advice would be to tailor your resume to the company at which you are applying. I cannot tell you how fast I throw away a resume that appears to be a generic, mass mailed resume. I particularly hate the overly buzz worded "Objective" in which someone says something to the effect of "to utilize my organizational skills and ability to multi task to assist in improving the efficiency and productivity of a highly successful organization in an ever increasingly competitve environment." Heck, I'd rather the "objective" just say "To work at your company". For me, I just like to see that someone put some actual thought into working at MY firm and not just any place.

Anyway, other than that, like I'm sure everyone has told you, make sure everything is spelled correctly and use proper grammar. I actually got a resume in which the applicant told me she was a "perfectonist" The irony made me chuckle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    I'm no recruiting expert, but as a business owner who has reviewed many, many resumes, my advice would be to tailor your resume to the company at which you are applying. I cannot tell you how fast I throw away a resume that appears to be a generic, mass mailed resume. I particularly hate the overly buzz worded "Objective" in which someone says something to the effect of "to utilize my organizational skills and ability to multi task to assist in improving the efficiency and productivity of a highly successful organization in an ever increasingly competitve environment." Heck, I'd rather the "objective" just say "To work at your company". For me, I just like to see that someone put some actual thought into working at MY firm and not just any place.

Anyway, other than that, like I'm sure everyone has told you, make sure everything is spelled correctly and use proper grammar. I actually got a resume in which the applicant told me she was a "perfectonist" The irony made me chuckle.

Same here. If you are going to write something concerning your "objective" use the word WORK, dont use the word job. I will not hire anybody looking for a "job", I want someone that wants to WORK.

Hey Steve I never send out a canned resume. I usually find the job I'm looking for online and use their "add" as a basis for my resume. I make sure I hit on the exact points they are looking for. They seem to like this, I've been offered every job I've handed a resume in for with the exception of one and that was because of my distance (200+ miles) from the customer base.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    thanks for the pointers... i really appreciate it. very good pointers at that! most of which i've incorporated into my own resume. i dont THINK it's anything that's generic, and it seems that's what alot of people push me to do... they hand me stacks of resumes for examples to follow suit, and i dont like following the leader, i like being a little different.

funny you say that about the "OBJECTIVE".... that was the hardest part, and i actually made it really short jsut bc i needed the room to keep 2 lines from going onto the second page... and it follows the logic Franko and jeffsntx suggest about WORK and not "looking for a job" or something of that nature.
    couple people IMed me to give them my resume to look over, so i'll take them up on it, the more criticisms the better.

now i just gotta figure out what the heck kinds of jobs i'm gonna apply for and what i want to do with my life sitting here being a pwc forum junkie isn't makin me any money unfortunately

[quote=Shibby1485;230545]so is there anyone in a hiring position that would mind taking a look at it and giving me some honet feedback?

Steve,

I need some yard work done this spring? Am I in a hiring position?

1.Dont listen to your college career center, if they had a clue about "the real world" they would be in it, not in some sham job trying to act intelligent around college kids.

I hire engineers, our resumes are different than general business, but what I like to see from new hires is that:

their work experience, mainly that they worked some in school and mommy / daddy didnt pay their way 100%. I would rather hire a new grad who worked at a grocery store while in college with a 2.8 than daddys little girl who has never had a real job but graduated with a 3.8

nothing looks worse on a resume than where your work history should be they have listed out all the "relevant" classes they took and simple projects they completed. there is a place to list education, but if thats all you got then its all you can really show.

If you did anything else that shows you made a committment and followed through (eagle scout, ran a marathon, etc) I would put it on there, as a new grad its probably your last chance to highlight those things on your resume before you get post college experience.

& also dont be afraid to send it(your resume) everywhere and go on lots of different interviews, even if you dont want the job, you can always get pointers from potential employers on your resume and your interviewing style/ experience / etc....

+1
    And congratulations on your graduation. As much as you probably cannot stomach the idea of more school, I would think about grad school if I were you. College degrees are a dime a dozen these days. A Masters or Doctorate really set you apart from the crowd.

+1
    Shibby,

For what it's worth, I was a recruiter ("headhunter") for about 2 years before becoming an attorney. I'd be happyt to look at your resume and offer comments, if you wish. Shoot it to my email address: [email protected] (dot) com

(make sure you put a dot, and not the word "dot" in the address. I did this to prevent spiders from grabbing my email address and killing me with spam)

Dave

+1
    i checked out his resume and sent him back a slightly edited version. all in all very good job steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information