Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Picking up a new GTR, what to ask about, do, and lookout for before taking her out

Thinking about picking up a new GTR tomorrow. Wondering what I should ask the salesman about, lookout for, and check before taking her home and out for the first time.

+1
    Also, was given a price of $11609 at my local dealer, and $11461 at a place about an hr south of me. Not sure if there is room there to haggle a bit or if those are both reasonable prices. Wasnt sure if I should push back and ask for the $11461 at my local dealer.

+1
    Always room to haggle if you are serious, have financing options and valid other choices. Do some research and see what you can find with a few other dealers and see who'll price match or beat it.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Check with forum member "tiny", I think he's the one doing clearance deals to GH members on 2013s'. If he's in your area, I bet he'll beat any 'stealers' price...

check over the 'fit & finish' of your machine, once you leave, surface imperfections are on you. You can get the best price they gave you and just pile on the 'freebies'... Like a cover, tie-down straps, bumpers, PFD...suit yourself.

Those are fair prices by me, but I'm in different markets. Bought my GTR in CA, now live in FL: both markets are currently supporting MSRP($11,699) on the ski.
    $11, 500 out-the-door is fair.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy00 View Post
    Thinking about picking up a new GTR tomorrow. Wondering what I should ask the salesman about, lookout for, and check before taking her home and out for the first time.
    Have you test ridden this exact model already?

Are you comfortable that this is the correct make/model for you?

+1
    And honestly...I wouldn't ask the salesmen anything...they usually don't know much and you will just get bad information that you think is true because "the dealer" told me so. Hell...when I got my GTR, when it was all said and done and they were giving me the walkthrough before I took off with it...we had the seat off and they were showing me the engine...one sales guy pointed to the exhaust stuff and said that was the supercharger. He even said it already had a bilge pump as well...which they do not. Do your own research. Here is a great place to do that.

Now, as for the ski itself...I love mine. There's nothing really to look out for...just follow the proper break-in procedures. The engine is limited by the computer during the break-in period so there's no way you can over rev or anything. The engine and supercharger don't fully open up until 10 hours. I was lucky enough to get my GTR used with only 17 hours on it so I didn't have to do the break-in thing and wait.

So why the GTR? What drew you to this model? Also...will you be needing a trailer from the dealer as well? If you wait another month you may be able to get a few more hundred off the price probably. In the grand scheme of things you have to decide if that's worth waiting for. I see you are in Michigan so you probably have a limited riding season and I'm sure you would like to ride it as much as possible before this Winter hits you.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    ...also, consider going to your credit union, bank, finance institution and get the loan yourself - you'll probably save yourself a bit on the interest rate: I did.
    The 'stealer' was originally coming back with anywhere from 12 to 22%.
    I flipped out on them, they even had the audacity to tell me that I couldnt get better rates because it was a 'luxury item'.
    I went to my credit union, told them what i wanted, and got a 4.9.
    Went back to the same place and essentially 'paid cash', and rubbed the f'n noses in it. screwed the finance dept. completely - and ended up having the finance rep suspended for 2 weeks, then returned to probationary status for 'threatening' me to get me to take 'their' financing.

...just a FYI. Sometimes its better to get your own financing, if your paying cash - disregard last paragraph.

+1
    I just saw this on the Seadoo.com site too. Not sure if the GTR is one of the "select models".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC_big.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	308905

Link

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    I just saw this on the Seadoo.com site too. Not sure if the GTR is one of the "select models".

Link
    Ya that is primarily why im hoping i can get to the dealer in time. Yes, I've test driven a gtr and really like the looks, handling, and speed. Used to rent my dads buddy's old gtx and xp and the handling and ibr related features are great. My credit union is running a special currently at 2.5% for 61 months, not bad at all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterguy00 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post

Link
    Ya that is primarily why im hoping i can get to the dealer in time. Yes, I've test driven a gtr and really like the looks, handling, and speed. Used to rent my dads buddy's old gtx and xp and the handling and ibr related features are great. My credit union is running a special currently at 2.5% for 61 months, not bad at all.
    Sounds like you're all set...good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information