2001 waveruner gp1200r number 3 cylinder

New on here so my question is i just bought a 01 gp1200r with bad piston an scorthed jug the people had already taken it apart how do i pull the cat an exhaust off the easiest way can i just losen the hose clamp an pop it off down by were it goes under the battery box behind the motor they said it has blew the cylinder twice now not sure why the first time but after they told me what happen the second time pretty sure it was just because they didnt know what they were doing

they said it has blew the cylinder twice now not sure why the first time but after they told me what happen the second time pretty sure it was just because they didnt know what they were doing

+1
    There are many reasons for a failure on a cylinder:

Rear main seal air leak
    Poor carburetor jetting
    Bearing failure
    Ring failure
    Valve failure.... the list goes on and on.

You did not loose a cylinder because of your catalytic converter. It could have failed as well, but it did not cause your cylinder to fail.

We will need a lot more information to help you figure it out. Pictures are worth a thousand words. As of this typing, there are two other forum members with the same problem as you. Read up on their post, and perhaps they can give you insight as to how and why your cylinder failed, and how to correct it.

i need to get the exhaust off so i can get down in there better the last time it blew what happen was it was pulled out they put a cheap piston an rings in it put it back in hooked the water hose to it fired it up an started revving it up didnt hone out cylinder or anything just slapped it together an fired it up didnt even make it to the river

This is a "no-brainier". The oil lines are wire tied off to brackets on the engine, they don't have any room for movement. As they start to get a little age they start to shrink, and with no room to move they eventually pull off of one of the rear two carbs causing that cylinder to burn out. Most people replace the cylinder and piston but don't repair the oil line which causes the new one to burn out again (very quickly). Seen it time and time again. Good luck.

Thread Information