Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how reliable would you rate the 718cc engine

i have a 2000 seadoo gs with a 718cc (85hp) ive owned it for 4 yrs now never had a problem with it until this year (carb work/fuel delivery system work) still being 13 yrs old i get 147-145 lbs compression. its never let me down always starts up. i was just wondering if anyone else has had good results with theirs as well, or have i just gotten lucky. also i believe 717cc-720cc are all 85hp so ill take insight of those engines as well just wanting some feedback i know mines been a great bike/motor
    -cody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck and seadoo.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	308870  

+1
    They are some of the most dependable 2 strokes that seadoo ever made.

They are not speed demons but they are dependable..

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Bulletproof....and as usual, as long as you do maintenance, but if not it hand handle a bit of abuse

yes thats good to know that their good engines then, and i can get about 50-55mph on mine on a good calm day whitch is plenty fast for me, although itd be nice to have the RXP-X 260 lol

+1
    I'll keep my 2 smokes over the newer 4-strokes any day. I really don't need to run any faster than up in the 50's, and the cost of maintenance and repair for the newer stuff is way out of my price range.

"Myself" that is a good point. 50s is plenty fast for me as well. can you imagine falling into the water at 70 mph you'd probably land about a mile away from your ski LOL.

+1
    Im grateful for my 95 717xp, 13+ years ownership. Imo the only drawback to a 717 is the vibration. Keep an eye on the bushings on the midpipe mount. If they fail they will destroy the head pipe
    mounting to the upper ex manifold.

The positive points on a 717 is great fuel economy and decent power. No rave valves to clean. Inexpensive mineral two stroke oil is used.

A 717 is one hella reliable engine in stock form.

8. +1 by:

I gotta say my 97 717 gave me hell after I got mine from a trade and it sat for a year, I put in 2 weeks with her and a lot of lake trips (down the street from my house) and tuning but now she runs like a beast. Hell today my wife and I put her in the water and were blasting at 40 easy and the motor didn't miss a beat I'm not a small guys bout 235 and she runs me 45 50 on a choppy day plus I agree with "Myself" the old 2 "Smokes" LOLOLZ going to use that one are cheap and usually easy to repair, In fact I had to take a look down into my buddies 04' 4 stroke Yamaha you might as well have a Honda civic motor in your ski, Any who Its nice to meet some more fellows with the same motors keep on riding.

+1 on the rubber bushings.

The ski I picked up was missing one. It wasn't long before it caused damage. I was lucky - it just sheared off a stud and a bolt for my exhaust manifold instead of ruining the pipe. Got it all drilled out and put back together and now I just have a quick look at all the exhaust bolts before I head out to make sure everything is tight and looking right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JheregJAB View Post
    +1 on the rubber bushings.

The ski I picked up was missing one. It wasn't long before it caused damage. I was lucky - it just sheared off a stud and a bolt for my exhaust manifold instead of ruining the pipe. Got it all drilled out and put back together and now I just have a quick look at all the exhaust bolts before I head out to make sure everything is tight and looking right.
    Careful, on re studding the manifold, i tried it and it worked a lake trip or three, it about bit me and sunk my ski. I ended up getting a good used ex manifold and have had zero problems since summer of 2009.

I would recommend keeping an eagle eye on it. If it starts to leak in the slightest way get another exhaust manifold. I wasted a whole month of riding trying to make the original manifold work.

Luckily i didn't ingest any water in the engine. A good used manifold was the best 35 bux i ever spend on my 717xp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information