Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What spare parts/pieces should I keep around the shop for my vx110?

I live in a small town with no real PWC stores. What parts/pieces should I order online and keep around to minimize downtime?

With my Seadoo 2 stroke I always had jet pump oil, rectifier, spark plugs, RAVE valve gaskets.

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    Spark plugs. That is really about it.

+1
    Plenty of water and maybe an oil change kit.

+1
    you don't need x-tra spark plugs with your 4 stroke....keep oil , oil filter , a spare prop (with wrenches) and two 5 gal gas cans and don't forget a chamois skin to clean your ski after every ride,,,imho

+1
    Duck tape, zip ties, toilet paper

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    you don't need x-tra spark plugs with your 4 stroke....keep oil , oil filter , a spare prop (with wrenches) and two 5 gal gas cans and don't forget a chamois skin to clean your ski after every ride,,,imho

I beg to differ. Although the 4 strokes do not eat up plugs like the 2 strokes did, they can be finicky when the plugs get worn. Yes preventative maintenance will prevent this but if it gets overlooked and it starts running bad it is nice to have them at the house rather than have to go get some. On my FX-140 the plugs seem to get worn quicker and will start causing hard starts.

7. +1 by:

thanks guys. none of you mentioned a rectifier, I know that my 2 stroke SeaDoo seemed to eat a damn rectifier every season. Are Yamaha 4 strokes easier on the rectifiers?

by the way, I hope to not have to change a prop while out for a ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerpan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post

I beg to differ. Although the 4 strokes do not eat up plugs like the 2 strokes did, they can be finicky when the plugs get worn. Yes preventative maintenance will prevent this but if it gets overlooked and it starts running bad it is nice to have them at the house rather than have to go get some. On my FX-140 the plugs seem to get worn quicker and will start causing hard starts.
    whatever ?? My stage 2 FZR is on the same plugs for like 3 years now....maybe I should change them....I think the book says 100 hours

I have a small fleet of them now, and back when we had 13 of vx's this is what we kept on hand. At least 1 fresh pump with impeller ready to install, stator, rectifier, 8 plugs PER machine, throttle body, tps, 2 coils, red and tacky grease and the PDF manual. Also, while the ski is running, you can hold the button on the dash down for 6-8 seconds, it'll put the ski into diagnostic mode, and will give you codes. Check it at least every few weeks of riding. Don't put anti sleaze on your spark plugs and be sure you grease the coils that go into the head. Make sure your clamps are all replaced with good hose clamps. I'm actuall pulling an engine today for basic , cleaning and hose clamp replacing. Keep coated with a spray of wd40 and you shouldbe good to go.

Replacing plugs often is good for a few reasons. Especially if you ride in salt water. Keeping them fresh ensures they will not only work at 100% all the time, but also makes them a lot easier for removing later on. Those that have had the joys of tearing a motor down because a plug broke off in the head understand. No matter how old or new, a gas fouled plug will stop a ski in its tracks. Always good to keep them fresh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information