Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Top speed slow- '97 1100 STX

So I recently bought a 1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX. Awesome ski. The guy I got it from winterized and it started right up last week without an issue. It's been running great with one small issue. I cannot get the top speed above 35.4 mph (measured by GPS), 32 mph on the speedometer. Unfortunately the '97 does not have a tach on the computer so I cannot tell where the rpms are, however, it sounds like it is not reaching full rpms. It's fast out of the hole but from about 1/2 throttle to full throttle there is little change in speed or rpms. It runs great otherwise. No sputtering, no bogging out, no cutting out. I've run it probably 5 hours and two tanks of premium gas with carb cleaner since getting it and there is little change in performance. I changed the plugs as two looked a fouled but there was no change in performance.

I am not mechanically inclined but my instinct is that I am having some type of fuel delivery issue. I looked at the fuel filter today and it had about half gas and half air. It looked clean through the translucent case but I did not remove it and clean. I bought a compression gauge and will test that tomorrow or the next day. Any other suggestions in the mean time? Thanks!

Hey medic2491, have a stock '98 stx 1100 best i've got was 54 (on speedo) glass water on Sebago Lake Me.

I'm on glass water in a pond in RI. Best on the speedo is 32 mph, 35.4 mph via handheld gps. Thanks for the info though!

+1
    The fuel filter will never be full of fuel, so don't use that as an indicator.

+1
    Yep, start with a compression test. Like David said, the filter should not be full.

No need to run premium fuel unless the compression ratio has been altered.

Make sure when you do the compression test that you have a fully charged battery. Also make sure to hold the throttle open when cranking. It will be easier to help with the problem if we can eliminate low compression.

Thanks for the replies! I did the compression test this morning-- 115 psi across all three cylinders. However, I noticed that the same two cylinders that had fouled plugs before had what appeared to be fouled plugs again (black, oily, carbon). The #3 cylinder plug (furthest from the front) was the worst, #2 was a little less black and oily, and the #1 was as clean as the day I put it in. Weird. Does this information help narrow it down? Thanks again.

+1
    Clean as in looked brand new? That's not a good thing. It would mean that it's not getting any fuel or oil. That would also account for your reduced power, as you are only running on two cylinders.

+1
    The clean plug isn't firing. Either it's not getting fuel, or it's not sparking. Is it wet?

Everyone who said the clean plug wasn't firing is correct. I had no spark on that cylinder. I cut back the plug wire a bit to fresh copper and got a real weak and intermittent spark. It seemed like there was some issue at the the other end of the wire. Any tips on replacing the wire?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information