How do I know if my bilge pump/system is working?

I have a 2006 RXP and I'm brand new to SeaDoo. I don't know what's normal. I rode for a while today and when I got back on the trailer, I pulled the plugs and they drained just a little. I went to wash it and set the tongue of the trailer on my tailgate to drain the water out of the place my feet go when I ride. When I leaned it back a lot more water than I was expecting drained out. Is there a bilge pump or something that expels water from the hull while in operation? Is there a way for me to know if it is working? Or is this perfectly normal and it won't eventually fill all the way up on me and sink if I ride too much? (:

Thanks for any and all help as always!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideTrader View Post
    I have a 2006 RXP and I'm brand new to SeaDoo. I don't know what's normal. I rode for a while today and when I got back on the trailer, I pulled the plugs and they drained just a little. I went to wash it and set the tongue of the trailer on my tailgate to drain the water out of the place my feet go when I ride. When I leaned it back a lot more water than I was expecting drained out. Is there a bilge pump or something that expels water from the hull while in operation? Is there a way for me to know if it is working? Or is this perfectly normal and it won't eventually fill all the way up on me and sink if I ride too much? (:

Thanks for any and all help as always!
    Its normal for some water to collect when riding. Its normal for that water to drain when the bow is raised. I hoist mine up after a ride, setting the trailer tongue on a shortened sawhorse. Water drains and drips out for several minutes.

While underway, there are bailer tubes that will suck water out of the hull. They terminate in the pump area, using the water pressure ( or lack thereof) to pull water.

I don't know if your model has a electric bilge pump. Folks, do add them, especially those who ride in rough waters. There are a few good threads here with instructions.

I found those tubs you were talking about in the pump area. There are two holes in the right side of the hull. I though that was where the water would be expelled. And if it's a low pressure system to push the water out of the hull, it doesn't sound like there is a way to test it.

+1
    Only way that I know to see if working is with the seat off watching bailer tubes while planed out.
    Obviously you have to have water in the hull to see it siphoning.

It does not work just idling.

Be sure your tubes are zip tide up or want siphon.

no factory bilge pump on the 06, check your bailers

Forgive my ignorance but what are bailers?

Banned User
    +1
    For 06+ boats, the bailers are integrated into the rear hull plugs. Only when you are under power, moving forward, will water be forced to the back of the hull and get sucked out...There is a check ball in the plug, so they will only let water out if accidentally left open...

Water will always settle to the bottom of the hull, under the motor, because that is actually the lowest part of the hull when it is level in the water, and normally on the trailer....So any water not sucked out during riding will find its way there...Its best to open your plugs and leave then open while you drive home, some water will come out when you drive...

The amount of water will vary depending on how you ride...anyone that plays and spins and such will collect water. Some of us don't do that on our skis, so the hulls stay dry...The hulls are designed to let air in for the motor to use, but water comes in also. An abnormal amount, like a few gallons, means there is a leak...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Only way that I know to see if working is with the seat off watching bailer tubes while planed out.
    I wouldn't do this again. I tried this move after I installed the new T-Stat to make sure everything was okay at speed and wound up catching a boat wake and stuffing the nose around 70, bending the handlebars and bruising a couple ribs.

If there isn't a lot of water in there then just throw in a rule 500 automatic and ride the thing.

Thread Information