900 zxi tracks to the right

So today I hit the lake and it was a very unusual day for Kansas City. No wind. The water was flat like I was riding on a sheet of glass. It was quite a different experience, it's normally choppy as hell and lots of little waves. So I open it up and smooth sailing across the water with no bumps... erie lol. I noticed a few things. One is just how much the jet ski planes on top of the water. I'd never noticed before with rough water and when I let off the throttle you could really see it sink down back into the wate once it lost speed.
    The other odd thing I noticed while flying across this flat smooth water at 55 mph is how it tracks to the right and I have to cock the steering to the left a little to travel in a straight line. Is this normal? It doesn't bug me and honestly I've never been able to tell because in wavy rougher waters you can't even tell. Just curious if this is normal and if not what do I adjust to correct?

Thanks
    Malcolm

+1
    You can adjust the steering cable at the jet nozzle.

Ah so it's not normal lol. Thanks man.

It Normal depend on how hard it pulls. is this something new that just started?

It's always going to pull to the right. due the the spring on the steering system for the auto circling if you fall off your ski. Smooth water you'll have more of your pump nozzle in the water and you'll feel the friction(specially at high speeds) more than in choppy water because your pump is out of the water more and less pressure against your pump nozzle.

And as for you slowing down on smooth water quicker. That normal too. More friction from the water to your hull.

Quote Originally Posted by wetspot jet ski View Post
    It Normal depend on how hard it pulls. is this something new that just started?

It's always going to pull to the right. due the the spring on the steering system for the auto circling if you fall off your ski. Smooth water you'll have more of your pump nozzle in the water and you'll feel the friction(specially at high speeds) more than in choppy water because your pump is out of the water more and less pressure against your pump nozzle.

And as for you slowing down on smooth water quicker. That normal too. More friction from the water to your hull.
    I've not owned the jet ski very long and this is the first time I've ever had such smooth flat water. I've had my boat for a while and never seen such flat water. Just one of those rare days. So not sure if the jet ski was always this way or not.
    Interesting you mention about the circling feature. I think my spring must have been removed by a prior owner or mine just never had that feature. If I let go the steering it tracks straight ahead such as idling in no wake zones.

+1
    I think wetspot has your ski confused with another, a standup most likely. To my knowledge your ski never had a "circling feature". When the lanyard is pulled, that kills the engine.

Set your handlebars straight and then see if your steering nozzle is set in the middle to go straight.
    When running in the water, jet skis sometimes tend to veer a little to one direction over another because of the torque and directional spin of the impeller.

I'd read about the circling feature and it makes sense if the lanyard were to snap and the engine was still idling I suppose. Hopefully it always pops out

I'm pretty sure the steering nozzle on the rear is aligned with the handle bars but I'll check it more closely and see. I know how boats have torque steer do the prop but I wasn't sure if the ski would too since prop is recessed and you just have a jet stream of water coming out the rear but it makes sense the more I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    I think wetspot has your ski confused with another, a standup most likely. To my knowledge your ski never had a "circling feature". When the lanyard is pulled, that kills the engine.

Set your handlebars straight and then see if your steering nozzle is set in the middle to go straight.
    When running in the water, jet skis sometimes tend to veer a little to one direction over another because of the torque and directional spin of the impeller.
    My 94,96,97 SS, SS XI all have them from the factory. That's way I asked if it was a new issue. Alot of people remove them just because of that issue, they don't like bars alway turn to the right on there own. I would have to checked my 96 zxi 750 to see if it has it.

The spring is attached to the steering cable bracket and then to the helm(as in the pic)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering cable braket .jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	309127

+1
    Wow, interesting...thanks for the pic! Had no idea.

Thread Information