+1

Are All Necessary Conversion Parts Still Available?

I know that the popularity of conversions is on the decline, and read recently that drive shafts are no longer available. I found a great deal on a 2008 p-x, and want to buy & ride until winter - then use to build a GPRXP. Are all of the required parts still being made? Drive shaft (Ted's, or), motor mounts, SD pump adapter, etc? I'm just looking to build a reliable wave jumping machine, nothing to crazy. Just hope I can still get everything needed.

Also, why does everyone think the conversions are becoming extinct? Are people just going with new FZR's or PX for speed machines, or any other reasons?

Thanks for any input.

+1
    no way I would build a 4 stroke conversion for wave jumping... stick with a 2 stroke for that IMO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post
    Also, why does everyone think the conversions are becoming extinct? Are people just going with new FZR's or PX for speed machines, or any other reasons?
    Thanks for any input.
    Who is everyone and why do they say conversions are becoming extinct?

+1
    and yes, all the parts are still available... and no they arent becoming extinct... me and Duke and a few others work on plenty of conversions.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    My conversion is in a constant state of evolution.

+1
    Thanks for the info about everything still being available. Rich thanks for your input. Since you are one of the top builders, I would probably be wise to heed your warning. I guess the reasoning would be that even properly set up - the sc, ic, and non factory mounting points could be an issue with big air. I have sworn off 2 strokes after wrenching on them for the past 15 years. Started with x4's and xpl's & although a gp1300 is still the best option for jumping - I am just wanting to come up with a 650# 4 stroke option & trying to keep wrenching to a minimum.

Was thinking about a VXR & adding trim, as this ski will be a dedicated wave jumper & ski for my gf. But I'm under the impression that nano hulls and big jumps are not the best combo. May just have to keep the px intact & deal with extra weight.

Troy - It was a question, not a statement. Maybe extinct was the wrong word. Why does everyone think they are becoming extinct. Which was my opinion gathered from following all of the builds/threads/sales from the past couple of years. Not extinct, but definitely a decline.
    Last edited by WP3223; 08-01-2013 at 07:09 AM.

+1
    Contact member addicted. He sells the mounts, shafts, exhuast, pump adaptors for the doo pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post
    Troy - It was a question, not a statement. Maybe extinct was the wrong word. Why does everyone think they are becoming extinct. Which was my opinion gathered from following all of the builds/threads/sales from the past couple of years. Not extinct, but definitely a decline.
    I don't think they are in decline. IMO they are just a popular as ever, it just that not everyone has a build thread going. I know of several people building them, including WFO building one for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nnnnn 005.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	308992

+1
    Our group of riders are adding three GPRSHO conversions this year. Not sure its a real decline just some guys figuring out its not for them and sell them, while others plain just love their conversions. They are built one at a time usually and each one is diffferent. Like RXP244 said they always seem to be in a state of evolution. So, if you don't like working on your skis buy a FZR or PX. I just enjoy messing with the ski on my days off and blasting around at 90 mph on a SC'ed ski.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I guess they have actually evolved, not gone the other way. Now you guys are building SHO monsters, where the extra weight is not a concern. JP, you are right - there are apparently still many builds starting up & going on. But since they have all been covered many times, not so many DIY guys are posting up. Ranger I appreciate for the heads up about Addicted. I probably should have just contacted him to begin with, but this ended up being helpful by getting the gprxp wave jumping info. Thanks

Troy, cool pic. I have been stuck in a gpr up to my waist, but never tried to squeeze all the way in
    Last edited by WP3223; 08-02-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Thread Information