Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Posts
    1,428
    +1
    23

    Dustin Farthing Ride Plate

    I finally got my ride plate from Mountain Motor Sports and had the dealer install it yesterday ... only to find out that it does not work with the reverse grate. I am missing something or is that their design? Plz don't reply with something stupid like, "Why do you need reverse!"

    Also, does anyone have a recent experience with this ride plate vs. the R&D ride plate? When I say recent experience I am talking about hot summertime riding.


  2. #2
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    yep any ride plate other than oem and you need to modify the reverse bucket

  3. #3
    Moderator #985 lasportsmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pierre Part, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,780
    +1
    358
    Since we are being requested to answer your question to your satisfaction we need more information to give you your factual non "stupid" answers.
    We need all the information of riding style, conditions, other mods, goals, race or rec, people need to realize that if you are truly testing anything all of this along with other important things like how the ski acts depending on the fuel level.
    You ask for only the comparison between the two plates. Our team changes so much for each race I actually can not say take anything over something else. It is only what works for you. Test all the parts you are interested in and keep what you like best or find all the different prop plate and grate combos for each condition. Otherthan that I say the way it came from the factory is the best. Just give that set up a little love and go ride.

  4. #4
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Posts
    1,428
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    yep any ride plate other than oem and you need to modify the reverse bucket
    My dealer says he can't make the reverse gate work with the Dustin Farthing Ride Plate! I was hoping that someone knows of a mod, gadget, part etc. that would enable me to use the reverse this grate with the ride plate.

  5. #5
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Posts
    1,428
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Since we are being requested to answer your question to your satisfaction we need more information to give you your factual non "stupid" answers.
    We need all the information of riding style, conditions, other mods, goals, race or rec, people need to realize that if you are truly testing anything all of this along with other important things like how the ski acts depending on the fuel level.
    You ask for only the comparison between the two plates. Our team changes so much for each race I actually can not say take anything over something else. It is only what works for you. Test all the parts you are interested in and keep what you like best or find all the different prop plate and grate combos for each condition. Otherthan that I say the way it came from the factory is the best. Just give that set up a little love and go ride.
    I do recreational riding on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia which includes grudge racing in a straight line. The lake is at 800ft. elevation and it is very hot and humid here. During August I am getting a best of 71.8mph on the Garmin @ 7,640rpms running my Solas 14/21. The ski runs its best in 1-1.5ft chop and slop. During the cooler months the ski can hold 73.6mph @7,800rpms in a 1ft. slop over a half-mile run. Wow what a rush! Based on that, I believe if I can get my rpms up to around 7,850 during the summer months I will really be smokin’!

    Currently I am using the R&D combo, R&D SCOM and the Solas 14/21. I like the ride, acceleration and overall handling. My dealer wants me to try the DF ride plate because he has another customer who is running 74.2 with that plate, a stock grate, the inevitable washer mod and the RIVA air filter kit under the same conditions. So I bought the DF plate and we are going to try it out. Yesterday, my dealer calls me and says, "The reverse gate can't be used with this ride plate because the bolts don’t line up." I said, "forget it, I need the reverse grate. Just put on the wedge, clean in the intercooler, check the exhaust filter, tighten all hoses, change the oil and filter and let's do some testing." The dealer calls back a 1/2hour later and says I am switching you back to Kawaski oil. It looks like you were using synthetic oil. To prevent a long involved discussion, I said, “fine use the Kawi oil if you think it work hurt my performance.” BTW, I change my oil every 12 hours of use and the filter twice a year.

    Right now I am thinking that the DF plate may get me another mph in smooth water, but hurt my lake slop riding speeds. … I am willing to try it out to see what happens. When I talk to the Mountain Motorsports people, their company line is “you will notice an improvement in handling but not necessarily a significant increase in top speed.” I was surprised at their reaction but respect their position.

    I know I am a bad boy and haven’t done any air mods yet … so don’t yell at me for this. After I do the initial testing with interchanging plates and wedge combinations, I am getting the RIVA power filter kit and do that as well as some basic air mods that V-man suggested. I hope to pickup another 100-150rpms with the air mods which would be great and probably put me in the 7,800+ range.

    Bottom line, I am really interested in any comparisons I can get and then I will interpolate to my situation. Thanks in advance.

  6. #6
    ImpactSportsTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    173
    +1
    16
    A SCOM in stead of "the inevitable washer mod" would be highly recommended

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177778

  7. #7
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Posts
    1,428
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpactSportsTV View Post
    A SCOM in stead of "the inevitable washer mod" would be highly recommended

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177778
    Yes, I have R&D Scom.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    EAST COAST
    Posts
    1,168
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Since we are being requested to answer your question to your satisfaction we need more information to give you your factual non "stupid" answers.
    We need all the information of riding style, conditions, other mods, goals, race or rec, people need to realize that if you are truly testing anything all of this along with other important things like how the ski acts depending on the fuel level.
    You ask for only the comparison between the two plates. Our team changes so much for each race I actually can not say take anything over something else. It is only what works for you. Test all the parts you are interested in and keep what you like best or find all the different prop plate and grate combos for each condition. Otherthan that I say the way it came from the factory is the best. Just give that set up a little love and go ride.
    I do recreational riding on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia which includes grudge racing in a straight line. The lake is at 800ft. elevation and it is very hot and humid here. During August I am getting a best of 71.8mph on the Garmin @ 7,640rpms running my Solas 14/21. The ski runs its best in 1-1.5ft chop and slop. During the cooler months the ski can hold 73.6mph @7,800rpms in a 1ft. slop over a half-mile run. Wow what a rush! Based on that, I believe if I can get my rpms up to around 7,850 during the summer months I will really be smokin’!

    Currently I am using the R&D combo, R&D SCOM and the Solas 14/21. I like the ride, acceleration and overall handling. My dealer wants me to try the DF ride plate because he has another customer who is running 74.2 with that plate, a stock grate, the inevitable washer mod and the RIVA air filter kit under the same conditions. So I bought the DF plate and we are going to try it out. Yesterday, my dealer calls me and says, "The reverse gate can't be used with this ride plate because the bolts don’t line up." I said, "forget it, I need the reverse grate. Just put on the wedge, clean in the intercooler, check the exhaust filter, tighten all hoses, change the oil and filter and let's do some testing." The dealer calls back a 1/2hour later and says I am switching you back to Kawaski oil. It looks like you were using synthetic oil. To prevent a long involved discussion, I said, “fine use the Kawi oil if you think it work hurt my performance.” BTW, I change my oil every 12 hours of use and the filter twice a year.

    Right now I am thinking that the DF plate may get me another mph in smooth water, but hurt my lake slop riding speeds. … I am willing to try it out to see what happens. When I talk to the Mountain Motorsports people, their company line is “you will notice an improvement in handling but not necessarily a significant increase in top speed.” I was surprised at their reaction but respect their position.

    I know I am a bad boy and haven’t done any air mods yet … so don’t yell at me for this. After I do the initial testing with interchanging plates and wedge combinations, I am getting the RIVA power filter kit and do that as well as some basic air mods that V-man suggested. I hope to pickup another 100-150rpms with the air mods which would be great and probably put me in the 7,800+ range.

    Bottom line, I am really interested in any comparisons I can get and then I will interpolate to my situation. Thanks in advance.
    I think your dealer is trying to sale you Kawasaki oil! I know a lot of people running Amsoil, royal purple, mobil 1 in the SC Yamaha`s and Kawasaki`s if there is something wrong with running synthetic in the 300x I personally have not heard of it.Amsoil marine 10w 40 is what I run. How would he even know your running synthetic? That is something you couldn't tell with just looking at oil. You got a amsoil sticker on your ski?

  9. #9
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Posts
    1,428
    +1
    23
    No sticker but I really like the Amzoil 4-stroke oil. I think it runs cooler than the organic.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    16
    I also ride on SML - same conditions. I generally prefer better handling particularly in rough water but let's face it we ALL like speed or wouldn't be riding Ultras!

    With this in mind, does anyone have experience with aftermarket plates for 250x (or others) under similar conditions? Not necessarily a preference, but your impressions of how the ski changed (nose up, better in sweepers, +1mph, less confident in rough etc)

    Phil if you spot one of the skis below near Hale's Ford bridge stop and say hello I put in first cove upstream past the 'doo dealer

    07 250x (red)
    06 RXT215 (black/gold, wife's ski)
    01 RXX 75mph on cool day
    96 XP heavily modded

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS - Parts Farthing ride plate
    By JoeyDFZS in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM
  2. FS Modded farthing ride plate for fz/vxr
    By BAYOU FZR in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM
  3. WTB WTB: Farthing ride plate
    By shhr in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 04:13 PM
  4. Farthing Ride Plate vs. Jim's Modified VX Ride Plate Data
    By Tx 250X in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 03:39 PM
  5. Farthing Ride Plate
    By Yellow93 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •