cleaned carbs, do I need to do anything special with oil injector when I reinstall?

Long story short, I just recently pulled the carbs on my '96 900 zxi and cleaned them up. I also ended up pulling the intake manifold and replacing the reeds.

When I put these back in and reattach the oil lines, do I need to do anything special to make sure that the engine will be getting the oil it needs? Or will the normal process of cranking the engine to get fuel back into the carbs pull enough oil through the oil pump? If not, can I just spray some fogging oil through the spark plugs before starting or will that not be enough?

I don't want to toast my engine after doing work on it over something dumb.

I'm hoping to put these back in around 4:30 pm Central today, so I'm kinda looking for a quick (and safe!) answer. Thanks guys!

+1
    Some people run a 50 to 1 premix in the tank for the first few hours so the pump can get the oil all the way through the lines along with working the air bubbles through.

I do it by having the oil pump off and running it with an adapter on the end of my drill until the oil pump pumps the lines full and air bubbles gone before hooking the lines up on the carbs...and then running it a bit more to make sure.

If you didn't change out the old oil lines you will almost certainly come to regret not doing that. After all, they are 17 years old. The damper bearing behind the oil pump is another failure point. It is 17 years old too.

If it's too much trouble to change now, no problem, it can be done when you replace the engine after it cooks. Not trying to be harsh, just trying to save you a bunch of money and regret.

Alright. I hate premixing, I'm always afraid I'm going to get the ratio wrong and screw something up. That and it is terribly inconvenient if you're planning to go anywhere needing more than one tank. In this case I suppose if it must be done it must be done.

The oil lines on this ski look darn good, I checked them when I took everything off. Not a hint of stiffness or cracking. If I had to guess they were probably replaced in the not-too-distant past. The fuel lines on the ski look the same way.

I know that the ski needs about a full tank of gas. If I pour oil in the tank first and then add the gas on top it should be mixed well enough, correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JheregJAB View Post
    Alright. I hate premixing, I'm always afraid I'm going to get the ratio wrong and screw something up. That and it is terribly inconvenient if you're planning to go anywhere needing more than one tank. In this case I suppose if it must be done it must be done.

The oil lines on this ski look darn good, I checked them when I took everything off. Not a hint of stiffness or cracking. If I had to guess they were probably replaced in the not-too-distant past. The fuel lines on the ski look the same way.

I know that the ski needs about a full tank of gas. If I pour oil in the tank first and then add the gas on top it should be mixed well enough, correct?
    They say not to do it that way cuz' it won't get fully mixed. But if you do "do it that way" and rock the ski back and forth by having it on the trailer and doing a bunch of stop and go's to mix it up, then one would think it would be ok.

My road by my house is so freaking rough that one trip down it and I can guarantee it being shaken up enough to mix properly.

Any idea what size the oil line is? Also, what is the function of the damper bearing on the oil pump?

I'm going to take a harder look at that today when I go out. If I'm not 100% satisfied I may end up replacing the lines and such anyway, just for peace of mind.

Is there someplace I can download a service manual for this ski? If not could you suggest where to buy one?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JheregJAB View Post
    Any idea what size the oil line is? Also, what is the function of the damper bearing on the oil pump?

I'm going to take a harder look at that today when I go out. If I'm not 100% satisfied I may end up replacing the lines and such anyway, just for peace of mind.

Is there someplace I can download a service manual for this ski? If not could you suggest where to buy one?
    Oil line is 1/8" inside diameter. There is different thickness and quality out there. I use the Tygon 1/8" I. D. with the 1/4" outside diameter. Try to use something better than regular zip ties to secure it. Steve uses a few wraps of stainless wire with a twist. I use stainless Oetiker clamps.

The damper bearing is the transition shaft/bearing between the oil pump and the bolt on the front of the crankshaft. #44070 on this diagram http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...UMP/parts.html

You can buy the CD type service manual on ebay for less than 10 bucks. They usually give you a download right away and then mail the CD to you. I'm sure the paper version is there if ya want/need one.

Thread Information