2003 Gen I Polaris ski

First off we love this ski except for........... It runs terribly rough at low RPM's at about 30MPH it smooths right and runs great! Anyone out there can help us to get it running smoothly in the low R'ssss? Thanks for any help that can be offered. Denny

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What is the maximum sustained RPM at full throttle? I just want to confirm the engine is running at full power.

What spark plugs are installed?

Does it idle smoothly and consistently at 1150RPM?

This is the fuel injected engine, correct?

The ski runs fantastic after about 30 mph, rpms are consistent no misses.
    I install factory plugs at the beginning of the season each year
    Ski starts fine and idles fine; but as soon as we give it throttle it wants to bog down and then with a little coaxing will go. It is really rough to get going until about 25 to 30 mph. I was told by someone awhile back this could be in the mapping of the computer and that is just the way these Gen I's run. Hard for me to believe! Can mapping be changed?
    Frankly, I don't remember if this ski is fuel injected or not. It is a 2003 Genesis I, 2 cycle.
    I am hoping to be back at the lake next week, so anything I may be able to provide in info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Denny.

+1
    Carburetor engines have the spark plugs sticking straight up from the top of the engine. Fuel injected engines have the spark plugs angled low towards the air intake.

Ficht fuel injected engines require NGK PZFR6H spark plugs, no substitutes.

If your engine is fuel injected, the first thing I would do is install a new TPS sensor on the rear end of the throttle body. If the TPS is going bad no amount of other diagnostics will fix the problem. Even if your existing TPS turns out to be good, having a spare on hand is a good idea.

Do check maximum engine RPM at top speed. Should be right around 6700RPM if the engine is developing full power.

If maximum RPM is well below 6700, check cylinder compression. All three cylinders should be within 5% of each other. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open when checking compression.

Lots of other things to maintain in general, see my signature links. At ten years old these machines need some mechanical love to continue being reliable.

Do not just run them until stuff fails, that is the more expensive approach.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will double check everything this next week when at the lake. Great suggestions and info. Denny.

Well I am ashamed to even reply as to what was finally wrong with the ski!! The battery that was in it was to tall and was shorting out, throwing sparks and resulting in rough running. Oh, so simple. Thanks so much for your help. I am hoping for a trouble free 2014 season. Denny

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Well I am ashamed to even reply as to what was finally wrong with the ski!! The battery that was in it was too tall and was shorting out, throwing sparks and resulting in rough running.

Oh, so simple. Thanks so much for your help.

I am hoping for a trouble free 2014 season. Denny
    Was the plastic battery cover missing?

Yes, unfortunately.

Thread Information