Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Diving right in! $500 '01 GP1200R, Oh boy.....

    Hey guys, I'm new on here and just wanted some input. Been looking for a Waverunner for awhile and wanted a fixer-upper. I love bringing things back from the dead. I saw a local ad for an '01 Gp1200R w/trailer for $500. He said the motor was shot in it. After some research I figured this was a pretty good deal and could part it out if nothing else. I went and picked it up a week ago. I have the motor tore down completely. Apparently something happened in Cylinder #3 and it roasted the piston and cylinder. In return a chunk fell down in the case and busted a golfball size chunk out of the upper casing. Also the reed cage is messed up on that cylinder but is all intact. The lower casing is in Excellent shape and the Crank/Rods are all good too. Head is in good shape also. Cylinder #1 and #2 are very smooth, no scratches/gouges. I already got a good deal on an upper casing and new reeds/cage on Ebay. I still need a piston/cylinder though. While I have it tore down this far I figure atleast new rings on the other pistons and a new complete gasket set. Probably should go through the Carbs too. The rest of the Ski is in great shape, No hull damage, no play in the Jet Bearings. I will go ahead and put a D plate in since the Cat is shot. I am pretty handy when it comes to Cars/Trucks and Motorcycles, but am not too familiar with PWCs. Do you thing I got a good deal on this ski? If you guys can see anything I am overlooking feel free to blast away! I am ready to bring this thing back from its grave. Thanks Guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130730_183046.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	309059  


  2. #2
    leejax01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,161
    +1
    98
    Cases come in a set and better to use the matched halves together. The oil line probably popped off the #3 cylinder and caused it to run without oil or a lean condition from the carb. Either way, a carb rebuild is the way to go as ski is already apart. Best to get a Dplate and temp sensor to run additional oil like synthetic etc.

  3. #3
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,049
    +1
    238
    Slap it together and run it for 500.00! Under 1000 your on the water.... Not sure how long it will be

  4. #4
    mudslanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Huntsville Al
    Posts
    1,326
    +1
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbeard View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new on here and just wanted some input. Been looking for a Waverunner for awhile and wanted a fixer-upper. I love bringing things back from the dead. I saw a local ad for an '01 Gp1200R w/trailer for $500. He said the motor was shot in it. After some research I figured this was a pretty good deal and could part it out if nothing else. I went and picked it up a week ago. I have the motor tore down completely. Apparently something happened in Cylinder #3 and it roasted the piston and cylinder. In return a chunk fell down in the case and busted a golfball size chunk out of the upper casing. Also the reed cage is messed up on that cylinder but is all intact. The lower casing is in Excellent shape and the Crank/Rods are all good too. Head is in good shape also. Cylinder #1 and #2 are very smooth, no scratches/gouges. I already got a good deal on an upper casing and new reeds/cage on Ebay. I still need a piston/cylinder though. While I have it tore down this far I figure atleast new rings on the other pistons and a new complete gasket set. Probably should go through the Carbs too. The rest of the Ski is in great shape, No hull damage, no play in the Jet Bearings. I will go ahead and put a D plate in since the Cat is shot. I am pretty handy when it comes to Cars/Trucks and Motorcycles, but am not too familiar with PWCs. Do you thing I got a good deal on this ski? If you guys can see anything I am overlooking feel free to blast away! I am ready to bring this thing back from its grave. Thanks Guys
    Post some pics of the cases that has the hole in them and some good pics of the crank after everything is cleaned also some pics of the bad cylinder and piston. this will help us to know what went wrong with your ski and hopefully prevent it from happening again. i have seen a lot of people rebuild these ski and put faulty parts on them and the motor not last 10 hours and some blow before they get them broke in. Picture can tell us a lot. and like LEEJAZ01 said cases come in sets. you would just be wasting your money not getting a matched set. these cases are dial pin set and bored it would be a roll of the dice you bolt a mismatched upper and lower case together and not have an air leak or a loose fitting bearing in the cases.

  5. #5
    You need to decide if your fixing it to use for yourself or if you going to sell it.

    If you keeping it you need to do it right.

  6. #6
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,049
    +1
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewp1289 View Post
    You need to decide if your fixing it to use for yourself or if you going to sell it.

    If you keeping it you need to do it right.
    So if your selling it half ass it right?

  7. #7
    Highlifeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Carteret
    Posts
    127
    +1
    3
    $500 is a good deal- I would have snatched that up to. Yeah- Dont half ass just cause your not gonna keep it, karmas a B**ch- You could probally get this ski up and running for $1000 Find a complete case, you want them to match. Get a good condition used cylinder with the piston or get a WSM piston. New rings for each cylinder, all new gaskets too. Get those carbs rebuilt and add the t-handles for carb adjustment. Get a d-plate with the chip and your good to go for many hours. The reeds and cages are easy to find on ebay for cheap. Then all you need is some flame arrestors and a pump seal kit- then your ready to rock. Ol yeah- heres the real important part, go ahead and take off the oil injection system and convert to pre mix- Most likely that is why the #3 cylinder let loose on it.
    Last edited by Highlifeking; 08-01-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: extra

  8. #8
    Why get a used cylinder when you can bore your old cylinder to match the new pistons perfectly? $120 bucks for bore and hone job to the new pistons.

  9. #9
    MR-1 X 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Posts
    399
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewp1289 View Post
    Why get a used cylinder when you can bore your old cylinder to match the new pistons perfectly? $120 bucks for bore and hone job to the new pistons.
    66v Cylinders have Chrome/Nikasil bore so that is why people usually buy used ones instead of installing a sleeve or re-plating.

  10. #10
    The trailer alone was probably worth $500. You got the ski for free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gp1200R not running right in water. What to check for now?
    By Mkpn24 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2015, 07:50 PM
  2. blew a cylinder in my 01 gp1200r
    By Islandrida92 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
  3. 01 GP1200R low 5500 RPMS topping out in low 40's
    By tulittletulate in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
  4. New 01 GP1200R owner in Dallas Texas.
    By SniperSR71 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
  5. stage 2 01 GP1200R issue
    By ou812 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •