Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

New to Sea Doos not Skis.

Hi all. I have been out of jetskis for almost 15 years. I used to be into them very heavy, but only had Yamahas and Polaris. I am thinking of getting an older ski to have along with my pontoon boat mainly to create interest in my kids to come boating with us. (they are bored on the pontoon) I will absolutely ride it, but not sure of wife as she has had 4 disks fused in her back. (why I quit riding)Back in 98 when I had my Yamaha XL1200 my friend and a 98 GTX. I loved the smooth stable ride that hull gave as well as the color so I am thinking of getting one. I have found a few 98s and 99s on craigslist local that are reasonably priced. My question to you in the know, is there anything specific I should look for or beware of in this ski? Any tips or other help in my research?

+1
    Welcome back to the pwc world!!

Compression test and ride whatever your looking to buy.
    If they will not let you ride it then walk away.
    Also check under the ski in the pump tunnel to view the wear ring and impeller.
    Try to get as much history on the ski as possible.

Good luck in your search!!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Welcome back to the pwc world!!

Compression test and ride whatever your looking to buy.
    If they will not let you ride it then walk away.
    Also check under the ski in the pump tunnel to view the wear ring and impeller.
    Try to get as much history on the ski as possible.

Good luck in your search!!
    That wear ring thing is what worries me. I have heard of it, but have no idea what it is , as niether Yamaha or Polaris have it. where is it, and what do I look for? Is it something I can replace myself?

+1
    First thing you need to do remind yourself you are looking at 15 y/o ski. I just bought a 98 SPX myself for shallow water riding. I think any ski that old is going to be a project doesn't matter if it has 10 hours or 100 hours. Plan on going through the whole ski. At least the whole fuel system, driveline, jet pump for starters.

+1
    I unsderstandf that and am not affraid of wrenches. I am just inexperianced with Seadoos. I have heard of wear ring replacements and have no idea what is involved. I also understand there is pump oil with Seadoos which is another thing I have never dealt with. I am not affraid to do it, I just need to learn what is needed. As I said, I really liked the hull and I think it is what I am looking for, I just want to know what to expect and how to handle it.

+1
    wear ring is easy. 30-60 minutes. There are a series of videos on youtube ( ). Short answer is pull pump freeze, remove wear ring, re-install new oem wear ring, and repeat. (its a little more complicated that this. but you get the idea). pump oil is just 75-90 gear oil. replace rubber o-rings while in there.

if it were me buy the newest one you can afford. Newer = less age related issues. I'd go for a non-SC ski for less gas use and less maintenance. Like others have said get one that had been kept up with and is in the best condition. neglect = less time on water and less money in your wallet so get one thats up to date and clean.

Thats just me good luck and welcome back to the PWC world.

+1
    Thanks guys, I will keep you informed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    wear ring is easy. 30-60 minutes. There are a series of videos on youtube ( ). Short answer is pull pump freeze, remove wear ring, re-install new oem wear ring, and repeat. (its a little more complicated that this. but you get the idea). pump oil is just 75-90 gear oil. replace rubber o-rings while in there.

if it were me buy the newest one you can afford. Newer = less age related issues. I'd go for a non-SC ski for less gas use and less maintenance. Like others have said get one that had been kept up with and is in the best condition. neglect = less time on water and less money in your wallet so get one thats up to date and clean.

I agree.........newer in this situation will almost always be better. If your comfortable spending about 2.5-3K you can get a pretty solid used ski that won't require you to be wrenching on it every month.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post

I am looking at a 98 & 99 GTX. Both with recent top end rebuilds. What are differences in the 2 years?

I agree.........newer in this situation will almost always be better. If your comfortable spending about 2.5-3K you can get a pretty solid used ski that won't require you to be wrenching on it every month.

+1
    Try this again. Looking at a 98 & 99 GTX. Borh with recent top end rebuild. What are differences in the years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information