Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Timing Help

+1

Cam Timing Help

(2004 RXP)

Trying to set the timing here is what I have done so far and it appears to be correct.
    Installed Camshaft holder tool
    Installed Crankshaft holder tool (locked with engine in #3 TDC)
    1503 marks are as parallel as they will get with the cylinder head edge (also should be on the correct tooth as I choose the tooth that did not bind the screws as the manual says)

Installed the rocker shaft as per manual

On the rocker shaft bolt closest to the cam lock pin...it was a little harder than the rest to get torqued to spec...also it made a creak noise on the final torque (everything appears to be installed correctly as per manual)

Now here is my question?? when everything is said and done installed and torqued and with cam and crank locks still in...I noticed that the #3 cylinder rightmost intake valve is slightly open (all other valves intake and exhaust are closed) IS THIS NORMAL or IS THE TIMING OFF or IS SOMETHING ELSE WRONG?

BTW the head was just redone with new valves.

I am at a loss here as to what this is supposed to look like...but I am thinking that all of the valves should be closed when cam and crank are in locked position.

+1
    Slowly turn the engine by hand. I use a ratchet and 17mm socket to turn the supercharger. Turn it slowly, make sure everything does its thing... and you should be good to go. If something binds, retrace your steps and recheck everything. Oh, it will turn over smoothly without spark plugs.
    Good luck!

+1
    on a 3 cylinder its impossible for all to be closed - your fine. cylinders are 120 apart. number one is closed. for the best hp - retard the cam - search the site - good luck. your right on track!

Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    on a 3 cylinder its impossible for all to be closed - your fine. cylinders are 120 apart. number one is closed. for the best hp - retard the cam - search the site - good luck. your right on track!
    Correct. Actually, you might not have noticed this, but when you have the cam locked, the #3 exhaust valves are opened slightly, and so is the #3 intakes to a lesser extent (valve overlap, the intakes start opening slightly before the exhausts close) And #2 intakes are slightly open as well at this point.

+1
    +1 retard the cam.

If you have a service manual is shows cam timming pretty good. but dose not show retarding the cam.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    +1 retard the cam.

If you have a service manual is shows cam timming pretty good. but dose not show retarding the cam.

And how much do you recommend retarding the cam?????

+1
    With both pins in bolt up the cam sprocket. Leave the bolts just a bit loose.
    Pull the crank pin and install the tensioner. (Cam pin still in)

Look down the crank pin hole move the crank till you can see a small half moon of the crank hole and then lock down the cam.

+1
    I have to double check but I belive you go clockwise with the motor if your looking at it from the prop end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    With both pins in bolt up the cam sprocket. Leave the bolts just a bit loose.
    Pull the crank pin and install the tensioner. (Cam pin still in)

Look down the crank pin hole move the crank till you can see a small half moon of the crank hole and then lock down the cam.
    not "how do you"........."how much" do you retard the cam to..

+1
    I just do the half moon thing. You can try differant setting on your so see what works for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information