polaris 140 msx runs but no power

I inherited a 2003 Polaris msx 140 ho. This ski sat for prolly 3 years without being run. after draining the fuel and spark plugs with ngk ultra platinums and installing a new battery the ski will run but only idle. When i give it gas it sounds like it is bogging out. Figuring I needed to run good fuel through the system the clean it out i brought to lake and idled around until i saw check engine light flashing. After doing some research i built the led tool to check the service codes and came up with code 12,39,51, and 52. Fuel pump, fps, and #1 and #3 injector. So I figured that i would check fuel pressure as the board suggest and pressure was about 0 upon starting and running then moved up to a few psi but not much. It think it ended up hovering around 8 or so. I then clamped off the return line like it said and got no reaction. The fuel pump is in a rather pain in the a$$ spot and just thought i would run what i have done by the board and the experts (447 and ghost installations)to see what maybe i should do as a next suggestion. Also I tried to clear the service codes and had no luck. Pretty sure i was doing it right also. I would love to at least get this thing running like normal to say i accomplished something. Thanks for the help.

+1
    First you will need to figure out why you had 0 fuel pressure on return pinch off. The bad news is the fuel pump is a pain to get to, and no easy way to get it out. You should have had a run up of pressure when your return was pinched. It is unlikely your machine would run if your fuel pump was not running... so lets look for restrictions first, then when you have the pump out, you will probably find you have no regulator attached... in bottom of tank. I would suggest to get the Kawasaki pressure regulator and put it in line on your return.

Once we have fuel system to pressure and flowing, then I would start down the list... TPS, is always a suspect on these machines. Ohm out the Stator as part of your process... check voltage on injectors etc.... K447 has links in his signature.. Lets not jump all over the place, just go through this step by step. We know we have no fuel pressure so lets start there.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/member.php?u=6036

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Make sure those spark plugs are NGK PZFR6H, no substitues.

See my signature links for more info on the fuel pressure regulator repair, if that is the cause.

You should plan on replacing the TPS sensor, as a bad TPS sensor will confound most other diagnostics.

Put in new tps. My fuel pressure gauge is garbage since it does the same thing no matter what engine i put it on. decided to check it while running and it squirted out real good. I have to assume pressure is fine. Took it on the lake and ran good for about a half mile up to 60 mph. came back to dock and when i went back out after shutting off engine now when you give it gas it goes to take off and loses power. It will either go back to an idle or just plain shut off until I restart. Sounds like a gas issue but checking the pressure it seems fine. Any other thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Douggie45 View Post
    Put in new tps.

My fuel pressure gauge is garbage since it does the same thing no matter what engine i put it on. decided to check it while running and it squirted out real good. I have to assume pressure is fine.

Took it on the lake and ran good for about a half mile up to 60 mph.

came back to dock and when i went back out after shutting off engine now when you give it gas it goes to take off and loses power. It will either go back to an idle or just plain shut off until I restart.

Sounds like a gas issue but checking the pressure it seems fine. Any other thoughts?
    Well, from my perspective you have not properly confirmed fuel pressure, yet.

Make sure the new TPS has clean connections at the metal pins and each pin is solid contact. Also make sure the TPS is properly installed, especially the round spring.

These Ficht engines need to be diagnosed in a methodical manner, and symptoms which you may associate with certain causes on a carburetor engine may be indicative of something quite different here.

Thread Information