+1

04 msx 140's any good

How are the MSX 140 skis. I have a chance to pick up a pair of them Not much info yet but they look good. One needs a little motor work. They both have the same motor as my genesis, which I may sell to my sister/brother in law and get these.

Banned User
    +1
    The motors are actually slightly different than the one in the Genesis. The MSX 140s are great skis, probably the best Polaris ever made. The 04s were better than the 03s, but it seems the 03s are easier to find.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The motors are actually slightly different than the one in the Genesis. The MSX 140s are great skis, probably the best Polaris ever made. The 04s were better than the 03s, but it seems the 03s are easier to find.
    COOL thanks. Will this machine fit 2 adults on them. I really like the look of them. We will see how it goes. Im hoping to pay 3k or less.

Banned User
    +1
    Easily fits 2 people

+1
    Ok so I got some more info on these skis. He said they have about 100 hrs on them. He also told me they both have new motors but wasn't sure if they were crate or rebuilt. The one that doesn't work he said he was told it needed a oil pump. I can get both on a trailer for 3k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msx140.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	310073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msx 140 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	310074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msx140 3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	310075  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Looks like whoever worked on these was not aware of some of the Polaris Service Bulletins for the fuel injected engines. I can see the fuel hoses at the injectors do not have protective plastic sleeving where they rub against the metal injector brackets. Over time the bracket can wear a hole into the fuel hose, so Polaris issued an update to protect the fuel hoses with convoluted plastic sleeving.

Easy to install, but it means that you need to pay close attention to the rest of the machine;

Make sure the spark plugs are genuine NGK PZFR6H, no substitues.

Per my signature links, you may (probably) need to rebuild the through-hull bearing carriers.

Sometimes the fuel pump pressure regulator falls off inside the fuel pump body. Repairable, but you need to know what to look for during diagnosis (near zero fuel pressure).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Looks like whoever worked on these was not aware of some of the Polaris Service Bulletins for the fuel injected engines. I can see the fuel hoses at the injectors do not have protective plastic sleeving where they rub against the metal injector brackets. Over time the bracket can wear a hole into the fuel hose, so Polaris issued an update to protect the fuel hoses with convoluted plastic sleeving.

Easy to install, but it means that you need to pay close attention to the rest of the machine;

Make sure the spark plugs are genuine NGK PZFR6H, no substitues.

Per my signature links, you may (probably) need to rebuild the through-hull bearing carriers.

Sometimes the fuel pump pressure regulator falls off inside the fuel pump body. Repairable, but you need to know what to look for during diagnosis (near zero fuel pressure).
    Do you have an opinion of these for 3k? I know you would look over everything. They are in storage and winterized

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Everything depends on actual condition. Engine hours are nice to know, but current actual condition is the major determinant.

'A little engine work, needs an oil pump' sounds like a major potential issue. If the engine was run for more than a minute without oil, there is real risk of cylinder and piston damage, if not crank bearing damage.

You need to better understand the story here. A compression check might provide a confirmation of internal engine damage, or it might not. The MSX 140 engine uses Nikasil plated cylinders. This is a very hard wearing surface treatment and typically these cylinders wear very slowly in normal operation. Without oil, of course, nothing lasts very long.

The trailer has some value, parted out the EMM and other pieces have some value. I cannot say whether this particular deal is good value or not, given the limited information.

+1
    Very good and thank you for your input. These are kinda out of my way. I may wait and until I'm in the area and take a real good look. Maybe even offer a little less. Meanwhile I will continue to read up on them and try to factor in possible repair and maintenance upgrades that have not been done.

Thread Information