Just got my 97 XP, what to check?

Hey guys, i just purchased my 97 XP. compression is good, fuel lines look pretty good. Anything else i should check to make sure everything is functioning properly? I know a lot of people say pre mix is the way to go. I havent switched it over yet but will probably do in the fall. Is there a way to make sure that oil is being received to the engine? Any other tips or tricks you guys know that could help id really appreciate it!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurily View Post
    Hey guys, i just purchased my 97 XP. compression is good, fuel lines look pretty good. Anything else i should check to make sure everything is functioning properly? I know a lot of people say pre mix is the way to go. I havent switched it over yet but will probably do in the fall. Is there a way to make sure that oil is being received to the engine? Any other tips or tricks you guys know that could help id really appreciate it!
    never seen a problem with the oil injection or seen one fail that wasnt taken care of. change the supply lines and call it good. as long as there is oil in the lines you are good. I wouldnt change it personally. you have to carry a lot of premixed gas around and honestly these days I wouldnt trust anyone with it just sitting in the back of my truck. as for the fuel lines, if they are gray change them regardless. open the carbs and clean the fuel screens at least. next I would inspect the pump. wear ring clearance ok? open the end of the pump cone and change the oil. if its never been changed its probably grease mixed with water. change that seal too. pull the rave valves and give them a good cleaning. if there is any excess oil in the bellows i would get the kits and rebuild them. pull all the old gas out and put in new. change the main ground from the battery to the engine as they tend to corrode.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    never seen a problem with the oil injection or seen one fail that wasnt taken care of. change the supply lines and call it good. as long as there is oil in the lines you are good. I wouldnt change it personally. you have to carry a lot of premixed gas around and honestly these days I wouldnt trust anyone with it just sitting in the back of my truck. as for the fuel lines, if they are gray change them regardless. open the carbs and clean the fuel screens at least. next I would inspect the pump. wear ring clearance ok? open the end of the pump cone and change the oil. if its never been changed its probably grease mixed with water. change that seal too. pull the rave valves and give them a good cleaning. if there is any excess oil in the bellows i would get the kits and rebuild them. pull all the old gas out and put in new. change the main ground from the battery to the engine as they tend to corrode.
    ran it today, ran strong for a good 40 minutes. Jumped off to go swim and it would not refire back up. Any suggestions on what you think it might be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    ran it today, ran strong for a good 40 minutes. Jumped off to go swim and it would not refire back up. Any suggestions on what you think it might be?
    needle and seats stuck. Time to rebuild the carbs

I removed the and changed the plugs / cleaned the rave valves. It will continue to turn over and i'm getting spark but it is still not firing. Is rebuilding / cleaning the carbs and easy task?

+1
    I removed the and changed the plugs / cleaned the rave valves. It will continue to turn over and i'm getting spark but it is still not firing. Is rebuilding / cleaning the carbs and easy task?
    Depending on how mechanically inclined you are... Moderate wrenching skills should take you about 3 hours or less your first time. It's not terribly difficult. Once you get the air box off its 4 Allen head bolts and they come right out. When you take the cables off the carbs don't loosen the nuts holding the adjustment in place pull the carbs out enough to unscrew it from the side of the carb, same with the choke cable. . The throttle rod is held by tiny set screws that use an Allen key to loosen. The linkage arm just pops off with a twist of the carbs like a ball joint. After that open the fuel sides of the carbs. Pill the little black screens set in the carb body. Clean with carb cleaner and q tips if need be. After the replace parts and reinstall.

Edit that: i'm not getting spark to the plugs. Should i replace the ignition coil? is that what usually goes wrong when there is no spark?

+1
    Edit that: i'm not getting spark to the plugs. Should i replace the ignition coil? is that what usually goes wrong when there is no spark?
    first I would unscrew the plug boots from the plug wires and cut about 1/4-1/2" off each and screw the plug boots back on. if still no spark check the fuses then at very last replace the coil. also be that you forgot to reinstall the little ground wire that goes from the coil to the battery ground...id check that first

I had almost the same issue with a 97 gti. I found that the main connector at the mpem wasn't making good connection on the ground. Pull the connector off and on a few times and then put a little electrical grease in it and see if that helps.

Thread Information