Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3 ski nightmare in Hot Springs

Vacation from hell. Went to Lake Hamilton for a week and stayed at a buddies lake house. The first day all skis ran great. That first evening we docked the skis and the boat at our private dock to eat dinner and the rain came and didnt stop until the middle of the night. I check the skis and they seemed to doing fine (My stupidity) before i went to bed. The first GTX (2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec Limited) to go down was after i ran it towards the boat ramp(about a block away) to get it out of the water and drain, etc. When i turned it off and tried to start it again it made a weird click sound and the display went to nothing but a SEA DOO message. I was thinking i fried something. Got it on the trailer, drained everything (A Lot more water than i thought there would be) and it was still dead. Took the seats off and dried everything out. Took the negative terminal off and reconnected to get normal sounds and display. Hit the start button with seat off and heard a small buzz sound(electrical short) and the display went back to SEA DOO. waited till later that evening and tried it again (negative off and on) and it came on and started right up. Thinking awesome (besides the other two skis are now down too) and got it on the water and it ran great until we stopped it and tried to start it again. Same thing all over again. Took off the negative on the lake but same thing. Buzz sound or weird click and SEA DOO message. Anybody have this problem after getting a lot of water in the hull?

2nd Ski. 2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec Limited. Kids jumped a wake, it landed hard and they said it shut off. Restarted and said it sounded real bad. Before they knew it, the ski was sinking. Towed it back it(Became a jet ski towing pro ) got it on the trailer and water was coming out in buckets from the intake grate. Is this a carbon seal or ring?

3rd Ski. 1998 Polaris SLTH Ran great 3 weeks before we left to go on vacation. Go it out there and it just ran so rough until you get it to around 60-75% throttle and then it would wake up and run great. If you go back down below 50% throttle and it seemed to hiccup and sputter. Get back into the throttle and it was ok. Unless you are trying to pull a skier or wakeboarder then it was showing its ass again. But at idle it would run so rough almost like something was out of balance.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by elitecm View Post
    Vacation from hell. Went to Lake Hamilton for a week and stayed at a buddies lake house. The first day all skis ran great. That first evening we docked the skis and the boat at our private dock to eat dinner and the rain came and didnt stop until the middle of the night. I check the skis and they seemed to doing fine (My stupidity) before i went to bed. The first GTX (2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec Limited) to go down was after i ran it towards the boat ramp(about a block away) to get it out of the water and drain, etc. When i turned it off and tried to start it again it made a weird click sound and the display went to nothing but a SEA DOO message. I was thinking i fried something. Got it on the trailer, drained everything (A Lot more water than i thought there would be) and it was still dead. Took the seats off and dried everything out. Took the negative terminal off and reconnected to get normal sounds and display. Hit the start button with seat off and heard a small buzz sound(electrical short) and the display went back to SEA DOO. waited till later that evening and tried it again (negative off and on) and it came on and started right up. Thinking awesome (besides the other two skis are now down too) and got it on the water and it ran great until we stopped it and tried to start it again. Same thing all over again. Took off the negative on the lake but same thing. Buzz sound or weird click and SEA DOO message. Anybody have this problem after getting a lot of water in the hull?

2nd Ski. 2003 Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec Limited. Kids jumped a wake, it landed hard and they said it shut off. Restarted and said it sounded real bad. Before they knew it, the ski was sinking. Towed it back it(Became a jet ski towing pro ) got it on the trailer and water was coming out in buckets from the intake grate. Is this a carbon seal or ring?

3rd Ski. 1998 Polaris SLTH Ran great 3 weeks before we left to go on vacation. Go it out there and it just ran so rough until you get it to around 60-75% throttle and then it would wake up and run great. If you go back down below 50% throttle and it seemed to hiccup and sputter. Get back into the throttle and it was ok. Unless you are trying to pull a skier or wakeboarder then it was showing its ass again. But at idle it would run so rough almost like something was out of balance.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!
    p

First ski may just be the starter solenoid. I would try that first.

my guess on the second is that they broke a motor mount from the hard landing, which caused the motor to go out of alignment and fill with water through the carbon ring.

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Ill check those tomorrow. But I have a question? I started it after we had it out for a day and it fired up and sounded perfect. If it was the motor mount would the misalignment cause another issue by chance? Or sound bad, etc? Thanks again.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I agree with 8

+1
    when is the last time you changed the plugs in the Polaris?
    was there a big difference in the altitude change from where you ran the Polaris last?
    kinda sounds like running to rich-or to lean on the low jets.

Rebuild carbs on the Polaris? Plugs are a possibility too.

I will replace the plugs and see if that helps. Elevation was the same. Thanks guys.

8 you were dead on with the second ski. I can reach my hand in there and lift the motor quite a bit. So i will replace the motor mounts and the carbon ring. I replaced the starter relay on the first one and it is still doing the same crap. Put the lanyard on and it seems fine and then once you hit the start button it completely goes dead and the "SEA DOO" screen comes on and is dead. Take off and on the negative terminal and it is the same all over again. Also you hear a small tick or electrical buzz sound just a little bit once you hit the start button when it goes dead.

Quote Originally Posted by elitecm View Post
    8 you were dead on with the second ski. I can reach my hand in there and lift the motor quite a bit. So i will replace the motor mounts and the carbon ring. I replaced the starter relay on the first one and it is still doing the same crap. Put the lanyard on and it seems fine and then once you hit the start button it completely goes dead and the "SEA DOO" screen comes on and is dead. Take off and on the negative terminal and it is the same all over again. Also you hear a small tick or electrical buzz sound just a little bit once you hit the start button when it goes dead.

possibly a dead cell in the battery, take a volt meter and see what the Voltage is at when trying to start it.

Thanks Pete for the reply. I took the battery out of ski #2 and put it in Ski#1. It didnt do the "dead" thing this time, but would just "thump, thump, thump, thump" when you try to start it. It would sometimes do this on the water but eventually would start, if you took out the lanyard and waited a minute. This is a little different because it will eventually do the "dead" thing and you have to "reboot" the battery(Negative off and on" It almost seems like the starter is stuck and the solenoid is trying really hard to get it past that point. If that makes sense. Also, i noticed that there were small sparks coming off of the negative terminal when it would thump thump. I also switched the ECU between #1 and #2 with no success.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information