Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: virage tx died

virage tx died

So, finally got all my water leaks fixed, tracked down my ventilation issues, and took it out today. It ran better than it has ever run since I got it... until about 90min in. The ski just shut off while riding and won't start back up. Have about 3/4 tank of 93 gas and a full tank of fully synthetic oil. It cranks over, but won't fire. Any ideas what to check first? Battery voltage was a little low, I have it on the charger now to see if that helps.

+1
    take each plug out and check for spark, to see if you dropped a coil maybe,
    fuel line good?

So, back home on the trailer I charged the battery and after a couple seconds of cranking the ski fired and idled good for the 3-4 seconds I left it running. What's the odds it was the battery? I'd hate to get a new battery and head to the lake only to end up stranded again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    So, back home on the trailer I charged the battery and after a couple seconds of cranking the ski fired and idled good for the 3-4 seconds I left it running. What's the odds it was the battery? I'd hate to get a new battery and head to the lake only to end up stranded again.
    It is unlikely that a weak battery would shut down a running engine.

I would suspect the LR Start/Stop module, which controls both battery charging and engine Start/Stop.

You can bypass the LR Start/Stop module for a test. Search for LR-505 for a carburetor Virage. Fuel injected engines use LR-503

Do check all the heavy battery cable connections. I suggest you actually remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and the bolt at the engine ground end.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    It is unlikely that a weak battery would shut down a running engine.

I would suspect the LR Start/Stop module, which controls both battery charging and engine Start/Stop.

You can bypass the LR Start/Stop module for a test. Search for LR-505 for a carburetor Virage. Fuel injected engines use LR-503

Do check all the heavy battery cable connections. I suggest you actually remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and the bolt at the engine ground end.
    I plan to clean all the battery connections just to be safe either way.
    Is there a way to make a bypass for the LR and keep the LR? Say, if it's running good now but stops once on the water I could flip a switch and run the bypass?
    Also, reading through your tech info from the links in your sig, you state the cdi requires 10.8 while cranking. With a meter on my battery while cranking, it would drop down to 10.0

+1
    What year is your Virage TX? Read up on how the LR bypass is done.

While bypassed there is no battery charging, unless you reconnect just the yellow, black and red/purple wires.

If your battery is weak then perhaps it was not getting charged, which points back to the LR module.

If it was me I would make very sure the battery was not only well charged, but was actually internally healthy. A fully charged but internally degraded battery will not provide good performance and can fail when you don't expect it.

In terms of a new battery, I recommend the Deka ETX16L battery, which is a factory sealed AGM type. Very robust battery type, strong cracking power, long life when kept charged.

Virage is a 2000 carb 1200.
    I see what you mean about the bypass, it wouldn't do much if it dies on the water as it just bypass the actual module (and dead on the water would probably be from a dead battery).
    Hopefully I'll have time to tear into it tomorrow. I'm going to most likely get a new battery to be safe, and clean up the wires. I'll tackle the LR after that. There was also some good links to checking wires to make sure everything ohms good and isn't burnt up. Another easy thing for me to check while I'm in there.
    Thanks again for the help!

Well, cleaned up all the battery wires and contacts. Pulled all the plugs, all gapped right and none looked like they were rich or lean. Plug wires had corrosion but ohmed good so I cleaned them up. Put in a fresh battery that metered at 13.1v on my multimeter. The ski fired almost instantly. I'm hoping for the best and taking it back to the lake this weekend. Seems to be running good now!

+1
    Do report back next week with how it went.

Pretty much the same as last time. Fired right up and ran great for about an hour then died. I checked battery voltage when it died, 12.7v. Now, after letting it sit awhile it did start back up. While running, the battery was getting between 13.3v and 13.8v. Is this the normal reading?
    We didn't run it after this as we didn't trust getting too far out and needing a tow back again.
    When I got it home, I started it and noticed no water came out of the exhaust like normal. Coincidence or a symptom of a problem?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information