Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What does failed SC feel like when turned by hand?

I have a 2006 RXP 215 IC SC. I got the ski with failed ceramics and completely took everything down and built back up including having Jerry rebuild my SC with an OEM kit about 90hrs ago. Daughter was riding and came in complaining of unfamiliar sound (loud while slow) machine was limping with 12v low warnng. Because of the hours, I pulled the tube off SC and checked by hand. It did not turn freely but I was able to turn small amts with great difficulty. Was smooth but with friction. Is this slip? Is that what washer failure feels like? Some have described free turning. I don't have that. I know it is time to send back to Jerry. Just hope I don't have to pull the motor again. Barry

+1
    maybe. I was not able to turn my SC by hand at 50 hrs. My new one no turning by hand.

not sure that the two are related. What was your top speed on clean water?

You'd be able to turn over a turbo charger by hand, not a supercharger. Gears and clutches will prevent this.

I agree the limp mode caused by low voltage is not related. I thought that with 90hrs I should check it anyway. I had never checked it when good so didn't know what to expect. Thanks!

Sorry that nobody with good info has chimed in yet. Please disregard the useless info from the other posters. When you reach into the supercharger and attempt to turn the blades, you should be able to turn it "with great difficulty" as you have said. The reason for this is that you are actually turning over the engine via the supercharger. However, the blades should not spin freely. When you are turning it by hand, you should be able to look down at the prop shaft and notice that it will be moving slightly. (there is a 8 to 1 ratio here, so it will be not easy to see the movement..)

6. +1 by:

Makes sense. If I remember it turned some at first then got harder to turn (cylinder compressing). It is on a lift on side of dock so I didn't have best position. I think it is OK but I will pull, inventory parts then send back to Jerry. I think I will not be pulling the motor this time. Thanks!

+1
    Your Scer clutches have not gone if you can turn it in small amounts by hand...if it did let go you would be able to free spin the wheel with out any resistance...BUT with it having 90 hours on it,it is time to get her out and redone again as the bearings need to be replaced...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Sorry that nobody with good info has chimed in yet. Please disregard the useless info from the other posters. When you reach into the supercharger and attempt to turn the blades, you should be able to turn it "with great difficulty" as you have said. The reason for this is that you are actually turning over the engine via the supercharger. However, the blades should not spin freely. When you are turning it by hand, you should be able to look down at the prop shaft and notice that it will be moving slightly. (there is a 8 to 1 ratio here, so it will be not easy to see the movement..)
    ok I guess I am a dumb ass huh.......

Now here is how you check to see if your SC is working properly.
    1. Camshaft locking tool
    Check slipping moment counterclockwise by using
    a torque wrench with actual torque viewer. A
    mirror is useful to see the viewer.
    1. Torque wrench
    Supercharger should start to turn at a torque between
    6 to 9 N•m (53 to 80 lbf•in).
    If the torque is less, remove supercharger ass’y
    from engine (refer to SUPERCHARGER REMOVAL
    elsewhere in this section).

from seadoo maintenance manual

otherwise try to turn by hand and it should be really hard to turn...... like everyone of us before.

rant over.

Good luck Bminchy let us know what you find out.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post

1. Camshaft locking tool
    1. Torque wrench

otherwise try to turn by hand and it should be really hard to turn...... like everyone of us before.

rant over.

Never said you were a dumbass. Just said your info was useless, which it was. You said you couldn't turn it over with your fingers, and you can ( it is hard to turn over, which is what the OP said, and your post inferred something was wrong, which it wasnt..)

So no need to rant.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post

1. Camshaft locking tool
    1. Torque wrench

rant over.

Never said you were a dumbass. Just said your info was useless, which it was. You said you couldn't turn it over with your fingers, and you can ( it is hard to turn over, which is what the OP said, and your post inferred something was wrong, which it wasnt..)

So no need to rant.
    interesting you criticize everyone else and you still fail to give the correct procedure to check if the SC is slipping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information