95 Waveventure 700 CDI resistance numbers

I have two 95 Waveventure 700s with no spark. One will fire once and die, the other won't fire but does turn over. I replaced the starter relay on one, the other has always at least tried to start but dies shortly after.

I pulled the CDI on each and tested them Clymer says the numbers ought to be much lower than what I am getting, here is a comparison

+; -; Actual Resistance; Per Clymer;
    Wht/Red; Black; 55; 9-36;
    Brn/Wht; Black; 62; 2-8;
    Black; Pink; 57; 3-11;
    Black; White; 127; 10-40;
    etc....

Both CDIs test about the same, way over Clymer's table. It could be that they are both bad units, but I wouldn't think by almost exactly the same amounts. Anyone got the table from the FSM they can look up what these values should be? Wouldn't be the first time an aftermarket repair manual was wrong I guess.

+1
    Test the stator ohms ant the output voltage while cranking. If the charge coil gets weak it won't create enough primary voltage to light the CDI. I've replaced a couple charge coils on Yamaha 701's. I've also replaced a couple CDI's. Also on the one that sparks just once check all your grounds. Maybe even just add a ground wire from the e-box to battery to see if it gets spark then.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Test the stator ohms ant the output voltage while cranking. If the charge coil gets weak it won't create enough primary voltage to light the CDI. I've replaced a couple charge coils on Yamaha 701's. I've also replaced a couple CDI's. Also on the one that sparks just once check all your grounds. Maybe even just add a ground wire from the e-box to battery to see if it gets spark then.
    Tested the wiring harness coming from the stator per Clymer and it all tests out within spec. Ran a ground, still fires but quits. What should the output voltage be while cranking?

I think on the one that fires it is not getting adequate fuel. I am going to run some clear lines and see if that is it and trace it back.

Clymer manual is getting replaced with a real shop manual as soon as I can find one.

+1
    Look through some of my posts. I have posted a pdf of the xl700 shop manual. Your machine is the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Look through some of my posts. I have posted a pdf of the xl700 shop manual. Your machine is the same thing.
    Thanks for that, service manual matches Clymer. Guess I'll buy a CDI and see.

Thread Information