Thread: head work?

head work?

im thinkin of having my head milled on my 1100. Are aftermarket heads worth the extra $$ or should i stick with the stocker? it has 269 hrs on it so im wondering how much longer it will last if i run it at 150psi. im sure its all in the tuning. any opinions or suggestions on what else i can do while its apart?

The aftermarket heads with interchangable domes are good if you want to change compression ratio and the cooling on some models is a little better,but if you want just one compression, the stock head milled gives the SAME results, and is WAY cheaper.....i got my triton Billet head for 30 .00 on e-bay, brand newm that is the ONLY reason I run it,..(its pretty) , mill .010 for every 10 psi you want , make sure you check yours with a good gauge, and also if you mill it now to get 150 psi, and your starting compression is a little weak, when you mill it all will be fine, BUT, when you rebuild it and have good compression ,the head being milled for the old engine will have WAY too much compression, how far apart is it going to be?

+1
    I have been using Pro-Tec for my Head machining they are close to me so that is the main reason I use them. Wayne their Machinist would not machine my OEM 65U head he told me they are too thin and he has had problems, he has cut a couple GPR heads for me and also some aftermarket 65U heads. I have two 65U heads done by GroupK their cuts seem conservative they deck a bit and do the squish only. Since the 1100 are so close to the 1200 be careful how much you have machined off the OEM heads.

Yes forgot to add make sure the shop can re cut the squish on the head, if you ask them and they dont know what you are talking about ,get another shop, .010 will not require a re- squish cut on our 1100 head , decking the block and cutting the head is the safest way to achieve at least .020 cut, but in my trials of Raider 1100 heads..I havent had a problem cutting the heads and them living @ 150 psi...I have had Riva do some of them and a shop here in Houston, that re-cut the bowl to lower the compression on my Triton head when I got it, it was 220 psi....... may be the 1200 head is different (thinner), I dont know

+1
    it was 220 psi.......
    How did she run

Scott I never tried it at that ,I just had it opened up to a more likeable 150 psi

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentwizard View Post
    im thinkin of having my head milled on my 1100. Are aftermarket heads worth the extra $$ or should i stick with the stocker? it has 269 hrs on it so im wondering how much longer it will last if i run it at 150psi. im sure its all in the tuning. any opinions or suggestions on what else i can do while its apart?

Cast oem heads are better for dissipating heat, billet (most aftermarket domed heads) are much denser and have a hard time with heat transfer. I am sure there are several machine shops capable of doing your request but I would just send it Lowell Horning and be done with it. Just my .02

Thread Information