Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 110 oil tank upgrade

OK, so I am a little confused. I am installing the upgraded oil tank on an 04 msx110 and the tank appears to have an integrated cyclone. Does that mean i ditch the old one, There are diagrams that come with the kit but no instructions. I'm also confused about the banjo fitting that was on the old tank and how it is replaced.
    Old tank had a loose baffle. Intercooler removed and cleaned. Map sensors also. The lower one had a green O ring. No O ring on the upper one. Is this correct?
    Any help would be appreciated

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

You are correct. The new style tank has a built in oil separator/cyclone... so you don't reuse the old one. It goes with the old tank. What you do have now instead is the rollover tank that mounts to the side of the new oil tank. If I were you... I would not put the long hose that goes from the old cyclone (and new rollover tank) to the airbox. That is the emissions recirc hose that sucks and burns the oil vapors to save the world. But in doing so, it's the direct path for oil ingestion. I'd put a small airfilter on that outlet of the rollover tank... and eliminate that hose.

The banjo with the kit... is a single stack banjo to replace the double stack banjo on the rear side of the head behind the oil tank. The stock oil tank had an oil line going to the top of it. The new design eliminates this. So to get rid of that high pressure oil hose, you replace the dbl banjo with the single banjo from the kit. The single now only is for the oil supply line to the turbo... do NOT remove this line.

As for MAP sensors... they are both identical. It's the wire harness connectors that you don't want to mix up.

Cheers!

Wow!
    Thanks for the quick supply
    If I eliminate the hose from the airbox do I just leave the hose off the airbox altogether or should I seal the airbox side in case of a roll over.
    I hope its not too dumb a question

+1
    I just put a piece of duct tape over the spot where the hose connected. No real worries about rollover or water. That whole airbox is just one big screen filter for air sucking in the turbo. I only taped over the hose spot because it connects post-screen filter and thus would have no "filtering".

Cheers!

+1
    Did you purchase it from Weberpower?
    I include instructions, and if you didn't receive them contact me..

Thanks,
    Randy

Randy
    I did purchase it from you and it did come with some photos and schematics. I just needed some extra assistance as it is more complex than the air cooled engines I am usually tinkering with.
    I did pick up a neat little air filter for $3 usually used on air compressors. My only issue now is securing the tank, now that all the connections are made. The large clamp does not sit in the recess of the tank as this is higher than the attachment on the engine block. I can't seem to slip the clamp lower on the tank because of the rear rollover tank
    Any suggestions?

Another Question
    Why is there a water supply to an oil tank anyway?
    It can't be to cool the oil as this is done in the intercooler.

+1
    When I installed my oil tanks... I had to lengthen the big tank clamp (adjustable turn-buckle) to fit around the new tank. The clamp rides around the oil tank, but not the rollover tank. It goes behind the rollover tank... so you have to get the big clamp in place between the tanks before you secure the rollover tank to the oil tank via the lower bracket... then sit it all into place and secure it to the bracket attached to the head. The big clamp doesn't ride in the "groove" on the oil tank where it looks like it might... it sits lower on the tank and behind the rollover tank.

As for why the water cooling in the oil tank? Easy way to help keep oil temps in check. The main oil cooling happens in the oil cooler (which is like the intercooler... but for oil and sits under the intercooler in the front of the engine)... but having additional cooling in the tank is also part of the needed cooling too. I'm sure if they didn't need to do it... they wouldn't have because the system would have been simpler with fewer pieces to make it work... and thus been cheaper to build. So I'm guessing the bright Weber engineers figured they had to have it to get rid of the excess heat of the engine... to help the engine last longer in the hot environment of the insides of a jetski hull in the hot places of the world where they operate.

Cheers!

+1
    Excellent answer Ripcuda!

Weber says the water cooling around the oil tank is for additional cooling and the cooler oil tank helps "cool" the oil vapors and thereby they have less emissions as the vapors become a liquid..

Thanks again,
    Randy
    Last edited by Weber Guy; 08-10-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot part of sentence

As to cooling the oil tank I'd have thought that a bit over engineered. Just like the return line to the top of the old tank and the emissions recirculation hose.

Anyway thanks for the help . Oil tank installed and tested. Hit the water and 3400 rpm max. I disconnected the electrical connection to the reverse lever and tried again with the same result . Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information